what kind of gar?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It's not a Pike either. It's a Characin.
That tank would be good for it - they can be skittish with more boisterous tankmates.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
It's not a Pike either. It's a Characin.
That tank would be good for it - they can be skittish with more boisterous tankmates.
when I looked it up it said spotted pike characin, I assumed that meant its a kind of pike. it is very skittish. it is terrified of me. and earlier I did a water change and he freaked out slamming himself on the tank and even jumped like 12 inches in the air. I thought he was going to jump out the tank :/ will it always act this way?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Yes - that is what you can expect from it.

Pikes are large, coldwater predators.

Characins are more along the lines of tetras - does the behavior make more sense now?

They are ambush predators, feel more comfortable with lots of cover / plants. Typically don't take any non-live food.

The "name" is just a common name / trade name.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Try earthworms and once you get it to eat earthworms consistently try frozen foods. After that it should start to take Hikari food sticks. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
now in the picture its with a silver arowana. can they live together? i ask cause they have up until recently the aro chases it around the tank from time to time. trying to "bite" at its tail.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Mine do fine with my silver aro.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Possibly boulengerella lateristriga... as mentioned above, its a characin. Pretty cool once they calm down, plant cover helps a lot.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
its calmed down ... a little... not much tho. but it does take frozen krill and the occasional hikari food stick or carnivore pellet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store