What should I do about a catfish that won't eat?

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
JFishNerd;5120017; said:
okay it's about 4 inches in a 30 gal has no tank mates has denied all sinking pellets and flakes and live black worms. Any advice?
any catfish could be 4" at a different stage in it's life, still really not helpful what does it look like if you dont know the species?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The fish needs to be comfortable in its surroundings so the 30g tank does have gravel and a place for it to hide, right? What temp are you keeping it at? Could you possibly be looking at it having internal parasites?

JFishNerd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2011
Florida
yes gravel and a cave he hides in. the temp is 79 and the store i got him from already treated him for everything they were just having trouble getting him to eat so i took him in to give him a better home and try to get him to eat. I basically wanna know if there is a type of food or feeding strategy that he wont be able to resist so I can beef him up.

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
^^ shrimp in garlic would be good, also turn off all the lights as im pretty sure they're nocturnal

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
JFishNerd;5120033; said:
Liosomadoras morrowi False Jaguar Catfish aka black jaguar catfish
Ah yes the jaguar cat.They are nocturnal in the wild but the one I had eventually settled in enough to come out and eat the sinking pellets that I fed to it.I say give it some to settle in before trying to feed it,then drop some pellets in after the lights have been off.They don't seem to like any kind of light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store