What size pump?

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
Just my 2 cents but Supreme Mag drive pumps are the best for the buck and pretty good on electric. Not saying I couldn't be proven wrong but its always what I have swore by and used.They last forever also. Check out http://www.kensfish.com/mag-drive-water-pumps.html
I also think that much turnover is way overkill.I have a Mag24 (2400 GPH) running a 1500 gallon pond for 2 straight years through every season and never shut it off unless I am cleaning the filter in Spring and Fall.It flows into a 3 tier waterfall packed with bio etc and also aquaponics so maybe thats helping but in any case,My water is crystal clear and never any problems. A Mag 9 would be more than enough turnover imo for you and still would cause a "current" effect in your tank,like a river.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Yeah man, that Cal Pump is serious overkill. I doubt your overflows could even keep up with that (not to mention your utility bill would be off the charts high). You first need to determine how man GPH your overflows can handle. Then you will know your max GPH. No sense in buying an oversized pump that you are only going to have to valve back or T off into your sump.

Everyone has their own ideas, but I would not run more than 2,100GPH (10 times turnover/hour) at whatever your head height is (I'm guessing somewhere around 6'). Anything over that is probably going to create too much current in your tank.

Plumbing an external pump is a PITA, but they are more efficient. But regardless of what type of pump you go with, keep an eye on the wattage...it doesn't make any sense to buy a pump that is inexpensive to buy, but ends up costing you a lot of money to run every month.

Submersibles to look into:
- Sicce Syncra
- Pondmaster Hy Drives
- Quiet One
- Danner Mag Drive
- Rio

A Hammerhead Gold on a 210G is also overkill. I have three 2" overflows and they can barely keep up with my Hammerhead Gold running wide open (I have dursos). You would probably end up having to valve it back, when you could just buy an appropriately sized pump (Reeflo Snapper would be a better fit) that would consume much less eletricity and give you adequate turnover.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
i have a mag 12 on my 220 with a 55g sump. its is more than enough for my CA/SA community. But if you're still feelin frisky, the mag 18 would work too!

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
Thanks everyone for the feed back. I have been giving some great ideas since I posted this thread. I appriciate all the information. I need to have a Pressurized fitler as well as a UV in addition to the sump before returning back to the tank. I was also given great advice (which I assumed but wasen't sure) that I could increase the size of the returns to conmpesate for additional return flow. I also will have this tank bare bottom.

So here is the issue I am trying to address. I am curretly knee deep in Cichla I also have been getting aggressive in thinning my stock to just cichla. Idealy I want to have the 210g as a Cichla fry holding tank when I am at that point of attack. SO possiably 10k or more baby Cichla long term at the allowing the longest amount of time possiable for growth. I have alway's been underfiltered with my current collection except the 150g it was set up with sump/pump from day 1. Ulimately I have alway's seen problems when feeding large exxcessive amount's which is a must with the Cichla imo. And I still feed on the low side of the margin for personal reasons. But with this 210g I want this to be a VERY AGGRESSIVE holding tank for long term high feed situatuion's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store