What size sump pump? Help please.

razE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2023
Hi Guys,

Just received my 8ft X 2.6ft X 2ft tank with a 4 ft sump and it has come with a 3000lph pump. Is that big enough?

Reactions: tlindsey

razE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2023
1 X Dovii

Main media will be in the pictures but I'm not sure what type it is? I have never seen it before. I have another section where I can load up on different media.

What do you think?

1000000987.jpg

1000000990.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
1 X Dovii

Main media will be in the pictures but I'm not sure what type it is? I have never seen it before. I have another section where I can load up on different media.

What do you think?

View attachment 1535929

View attachment 1535930
The biomedia is fine. As for the pump not sure.
duanes duanes
Deadeye Deadeye
jjohnwm jjohnwm

Reactions: razE

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
From the picture of the pump box, it says:
  • 5000 litres / hour
  • 12 watts
  • 0.8 metres maximum head
If it is 12w, it will certainly not pump 5000 l/h, or anywhere near it. 80cm head means in will nearly stall to get above the height of the sump alone. In fact it is a powerhead, and not a pump.

You may consider getting a more durable pump for the sump.

razE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2023
From the picture of the pump box, it says:
  • 5000 litres / hour
  • 12 watts
  • 0.8 metres maximum head
If it is 12w, it will certainly not pump 5000 l/h, or anywhere near it. 80cm head means in will nearly stall to get above the height of the sump alone. In fact it is a powerhead, and not a pump.

You may consider getting a more durable pump for the sump.
Hi,

That's a wavemaker.

Reactions: jjohnwm

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since dovii are considered a lake species (depending on the original and ancestral catch location) as opposed to a rheophile, your pump may be sufficient, at least while it's young. As an example......
I use a pump not quite double that size on my 6 ft tank, with 6ft sump, but I do keep rheophillic species.
IMG_6846.jpeg
above is the current, and flow of the river I catch them in, and below the pump I use to "simulate" that flow as best I can.
IMG_5317.jpegIMG_2814.jpeg
I also add a wave maker (below) to boost flow in the tank to supplement extra flow for the my rheophiles.
IMG_0497.jpeg
The flow I use does not compromise the beneficial bacteria as you can see clearly by my weekly water parameter test results..
IMG_2885.jpeg
For you to know for sure, regular testing of these parameters will let you know info as to whether you are in the ballpark for proper care of your dovii or not.
If ammonia and nitrite test non-detectable, with your flow rate, you are golden.
If nitrate remains low, with your water change routine and volume, you are also golden.
But......
if your nitrate creeps into an elevated level between water changes, then you may want to reevaluate your routine to a larger pump, and volume, and more frequent water change regime.
And regular testing will let you now if the routine is sufficient as the dovii continues to grow, adding pressure on the filtration system, and water changes routine.

Once the initial cycle is done, it's seldom necessary to test as often for ammonia and nitrite, but regular pH and nitrate testing is a good indicator of the general heath and stability of your system, and will be an obvious indication if things start to deteriorate.

Just as a for instance
If you google the nitrate concentration of Lake Arenal, where dovii are commonly found in nature
you will find its average nitrate levels in the lake barely exceed 1 ppm.
For me, this the would be the concentration I'd set, as a benchmark goal for water changes and filtration.

Last edited:
Reactions: razE and tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with the above, and as a lone juvie in the tank, may be sufficient.
The average recommended aquarium flow , is usually 5 times the entire tank volume per hour for just a basic community tank.
But a dovii is no normal aquarium fish, so as it matures, you may need upgrades, just as the water change routine and volume will need to be upgraded as the cichlid grows.

Reactions: razE and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store