What the biggest fish you ever caught?

fishytuxedo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2009
Sterling Forest, NY
View attachment 1145945

Sailfish caught off Miami. It hit a surface bait we had on a kite. Probably weighs in around 100 lbs.
That's a big Atlantic sail! Do u have a pic of it on a scale to show the 100lbs?
Unfortunately I don't know what happened to it. I don't know if it was ever weighed. It was the first and smaller of two I caught that incredible New Year's Day (we released the big one). It got wrapped in the line after an amazing tail-walking jump and came in backwards, and it couldn't be revived.

There were only seven other people on the party boat that day, one guy wanted to mount it, and I wasn't looking to spend a few thousand on a skin mount, so I let him have it.

I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs in that picture for relative scale.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
A 40+ inch catfish.

Fish.jpg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I know it's not very big by Flathead standards, but they are not native to our local river system and were accidentally introduced in 1997 by PFBC who mistakenly stocked them in a contaminated shipment of juvenile channel catfish and brown bullheads, but last year I caught a 40-inch, 31.5 lb Flathead with a 25-inch girth. Of the 30+ Flatheads I got last year, 8 were over 30 inches and 3 were over 20 lbs, and a total combined weight of almost 300lbs of Flatheads total for the year (May-September).

Some other notable catches, a 23-inch 7.5lb. Smallmouth bass, a 24-inch 11.4lb Largemouth bass (Florida), a 29-inch 8.3lb Channel Catfish, a 20.75-inch, 3lb 14.5 oz. Rainbow trout w/ a 12.75-inch girth, a pair of 28 and 27.5-inch 7lb. Bluefish caught on the same rod/rig at the exact same time, a 32-inch 12lbs Striped bass (tidal) in RI, and a Wiper (hybrid StripedXWhite bass) 22-inch, 6 lbs. and a few 15 and 16 inch Black crappies earlier in April 2015.

Nothing particularly huge, but pound for pound, species for species, not bad at all IMO....I damn sure had fun reeling them in :p

Is that a Wels?

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
I know it's not very big by Flathead standards, but they are not native to our local river system and were accidentally introduced in 1997 by PFBC who mistakenly stocked them in a contaminated shipment of juvenile channel catfish and brown bullheads, but last year I caught a 40-inch, 31.5 lb Flathead with a 25-inch girth. Of the 30+ Flatheads I got last year, 8 were over 30 inches and 3 were over 20 lbs, and a total combined weight of almost 300lbs of Flatheads total for the year (May-September).

Some other notable catches, a 23-inch 7.5lb. Smallmouth bass, a 24-inch 11.4lb Largemouth bass (Florida), a 29-inch 8.3lb Channel Catfish, a 20.75-inch, 3lb 14.5 oz. Rainbow trout w/ a 12.75-inch girth, a pair of 28 and 27.5-inch 7lb. Bluefish caught on the same rod/rig at the exact same time, a 32-inch 12lbs Striped bass (tidal) in RI, and a Wiper (hybrid StripedXWhite bass) 22-inch, 6 lbs. and a few 15 and 16 inch Black crappies earlier in April 2015.

Nothing particularly huge, but pound for pound, species for species, not bad at all IMO....I damn sure had fun reeling them in :p

Is that a Wels?
Nope, that's a walking catfish, Clarias Fuscus, this is about as large as they get.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
I caught a 9" pinfish at summer camp. Not a big fish by most people's standards, yes, but a big pinfish. Guy in charge of the fishing stuff said it was the biggest he'd seen, and judging by the rate at which they were being hauled in, he's seen a LOT of pinfish.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I caught a 9" pinfish at summer camp. Not a big fish by most people's standards, yes, but a big pinfish. Guy in charge of the fishing stuff said it was the biggest he'd seen, and judging by the rate at which they were being hauled in, he's seen a LOT of pinfish.
ya, a fish doesn't have to be big to be "BIG". I saw a guy catch a world record creekchub in 2015 while trout fishing. At 16" 1.72 lbs, it SHATTERED the old record by 7 inches. Never saw him afterwards to check and see if he got it registered and certified :( There were like 5 witnessesbesides me too. I hope he got his name in the books. I thought it was a damn carp at first!!!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
What kind of bait? lol
Money has always been the traditional bait used by the Natives. Still fishing it works fine, but it's much more effective when it's flashy and gaudy and is jigged or jerked, however finesse can be equally useful in your presentation......

....just make sure you're ready for a big fight, and then numerous smaller ones afterwards and they jump, shake their heads, produce loud pitched sounds while you're trying to relax or concentrate, and remind you why you should practice "catch-and-release".

Note: this was meant in good fun, no offense is intended to be taken by anyone. :::::::::::::::)

Reactions: Betta132
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store