What to do after ich has hit?

King Fisher23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
SOCAL 92346
bluehairman;3203346; said:
That's basically what I've been trying to say in a less harsh way. But I keep getting ignored :irked: Maybe this will finally pound it in.

King Fisher, it's not advised that you do this, but I think it would be easier for you to use Quick Cure just this once... Then I suggest you do your own research on ich and exactly what must be done to cure it the more fish friendly way.
I have already added salt to the tank when my pictus died but my GT and Conn were to overtaken with ich and they died later but the FM is the only one with no signs of ich.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
Hmm. Quarantine your fish. Add salt, raise the temp.
After the fish is quarantined raise the temp on the 55 gal to 90F for 2 days. After 2 days return temperature to normal.
Leave the fish in the quarantine for 3 days. Then return him to the 55 if the tank temp is normal.

I only suggest this because that's a lot of salt to treat a 55g

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
hmmm.... everybody says its just ich, it just killed every fish in his tank except one.
if you dont give yourself enough time to start treating ich as soon as it appears it can easily kill all the fish. he already has a severe infection in the tank and i would hardly call this a fast response. if the fish didnt look good i would definitely recommend copper.
each lil cyst or white dot on the fish creates a several hundreds of off spring that fall into the gravel until there ready to go to there swimming stage and begin again. in a very short amount of time a small amount can become a rediculousily large amount.

im sure theres already a rediculousily large amount in his tank.

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
sostoudt;3203438; said:
hmmm.... everybody says its just ich, it just killed every fish in his tank except one.
if you dont give yourself enough time to start treating ich as soon as it appears it can easily kill all the fish. he already has a severe infection in the tank and i would hardly call this a fast response. if the fish didnt look good i would definitely recommend copper.
each lil cyst or white dot on the fish creates a several hundreds of off spring that fall into the gravel until there ready to go to there swimming stage and begin again. in a very short amount of time a small amount can become a rediculousily large amount.

im sure theres already a rediculousily large amount in his tank.
I disagree. I think you added too little salt if you put 8-10 teaspoons. Your supposed to put 1 tbsp per 5 US gallon. So you put too little salt. 3 teaspoons=1 tbsp. So you roughly added 3 tbsp and need 2 more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store