What to do? Heavily planted, high pH 20g long

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Dwarf puffers (pea puffers) would be great for that tank. Yes they do eat snails, but probably not able to take down a decent size mts nevermind something bigger. Just beware they can be nippy to long finned fish

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
You could also get some dwarf cichlids, like cockatoo's

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Dwarf cichlids are pretty awesome I got myself a 30 gal dwarf tank highly recommend them for a small tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah and they won`t damage the plants. I used to have an A. Viejita II and that was a beautiful little fish

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Wow I didn't see all these responses! I'll definitely do a little research into some of the options, def considering dwarf cichlids or puffers.

To answer the earlier question, tank has been up about 2-3 months now?

Looking into the dwarf cichlids, though, do they need lower pH than this? I'm at like 8.

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Ok the tank being so new is part of the prob its best to have the tank set up for 6-8 months and let algae grow on the back wall of the tank and if you can handle it the sides. What kind of cichlids? The neon rainbows are very pretty also galaxy rasbora those would look great together :)

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Ok the tank being so new is part of the prob its best to have the tank set up for 6-8 months and let algae grow on the back wall of the tank and if you can handle it the sides. What kind of cichlids? The neon rainbows are very pretty also galaxy rasbora those would look great together :)
Part of the problem? The problem was with sulawesi cardinal shrimp, and it may have been too new then, but I did use established media. There just wasn't a layer of biofilm. Anyway I'm not sure if I want to try them again, just in case it was something else.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Just curious as to what temps you kept the tank at? Since from my understanding they prefer much warmer temps compared to other shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store