What to feed my new 11'' florida gar?

jdiidy271

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
new york
this thread is good for me b/c i just bought a florida longnose gar today. i didnt rlly think of the things i could feed it. thanks!!!!!!

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I love to fish as well but I have never ate sturgeon..but I love some good shark.

Ive given away my two oscars and now my tank is real calm. Everyone in the tank seems way happier. I have been feeding my gar zebra danios and he seems to be doing real well. When feeding him raw fish do I feed him by hand or drop it in the tank? It seems that that would dirty the tank real quick.

Here's a few pics...
pic1..my 120 gallon tank
pic2.3..florida gar
pic4...my baby red bellied pacu's

tank.JPG

gar.JPG

gar1.JPG

pacu.JPG

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
if you want to feed by hand you can, but they should be fine with just dropping the food in. live food is much more messy than raw fish or shrimp...IMO.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
gangster;1746478; said:
DOes your gar seem to eat the raw fish/shrimp right away?
yeah...it barely has time to hit the water and they are after it.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
If mine isn't looking some might get by, but the other fish are there...it rarely hits bottom, and if it does, I have a poly now :) You can feed by hand though, or use a skewer or stick if you want...you might find the pacu try to hog all the food if you're just dropping it in though. Jordan you have pacu with yours right? Any problems at feeding time?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
CTU2fan;1746723; said:
If mine isn't looking some might get by, but the other fish are there...it rarely hits bottom, and if it does, I have a poly now :) You can feed by hand though, or use a skewer or stick if you want...you might find the pacu try to hog all the food if you're just dropping it in though. Jordan you have pacu with yours right? Any problems at feeding time?
i use a divider during feeding time...or there would be BIG problems. other than that all is fine.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Do you just use the shrimp you need to de-shell from the grocery store? ANd how do you think zebra danios are as far as feeders go? I figure they are a lot cleaner than goldfish. I feed the danios flakes so they are getting good food....as well as brine shrimp.

cichlid_dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
Florida
For your gar I would feed him shrimp and prawns along with filets of fish; anything meaty would be fine for him. You can go the feeder fish route, but like you said, they can very dirty and in crappy health. Your pacus might nip at his fins, but the worst a small pacu can do is take a small piece out of him, but I would watch them carefully and make sure they are not being too aggressive when feeding, and if you have to, then you might want to seperate them.

That is funny that you filet sturgeon; I live in florida and I keep sturgeon as tankmates with my large cats and cichlids. They are beautiful and majestic fish when kept in the right conditions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store