What type of algae is this?

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
I am curious to to what type of algae this is, and what to do if anything about it. The pictures do not visualize it as well as seeing it in person. L I am referring to the dark green spots on the rocks. It is slimy, and Not easily removed off rocks. I have noticed that one rock is harboring much less diatoms and more of the green algae now. It's seen well on the rounded river rock, and in the picture with the small demasoni, the green algae I'm referring to is right below him.

Tank specs:
-125 gallon
-Water temp 78-80F
-Ammonia 0
-Nitrite0
-Nitrate 0-5ppm
-water very hard
-ph 7.5
-Tank cycled 3-4 months ago,
- I have been battling diatoms for about a month. I think I am seeing a bit less of them now though.
- I run an algae scrubber with weekly cleanings of green hair algae.
-tank lights are two 36" finnex planted plus ran in 24hr mode. Just enough light to grow some Java fern.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I honestly can't give you a name but from the water parameters you listed that is good algae , some Malawi graze on algae.

Reactions: Dustin0413

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had an algae class back when I was majoring in microbiology.
We had an entire text book on/ and called the "Algae of the Great Lakes, close to 1000 different species of algae in those lakes alone. The only way to properly ID them is under a microscope.
That said, I agree with tlindsey, it doesn't look like a problem species like Cyanobacteria (though hard to tell from that far away), looks like one you might want around, especially with those cichlid species in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store