What type of Alge eater for my setup/tank mates?

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Hi, is your setup new? What kind of light did you have before? Which setting do you have your sat+ light on? At the best setting for plants (yellow) par is about 21 at 24 inches, and that's with a light that runs the entire length of the tank. 3.5-4 hours a day doesnt sound like enough light. And I cant see how the Sat+ would cause algae without another variable coming into play. Just a thought... If you were able to find out what's causing the algae, maybe you wouldnt need an AE. Can you post a pic?

Heres a link to info on the sat+ light
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379417

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
*Thanks for the link, I will read it later today.
*Not sure which setting it is on, I think it is on the grey but not 100%
*could it be due to the setup near a window? The back is painted black on both sides of the corner tank, other than this Im blind to another reason. I'll post a pic when I get some spare time today, Thanks

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
*Thanks for the link, I will read it later today.
*Not sure which setting it is on, I think it is on the grey but not 100%
*could it be due to the setup near a window? The back is painted black on both sides of the corner tank, other than this Im blind to another reason. I'll post a pic when I get some spare time today, Thanks
Absolutely agree with others re 6-8 hours a day on the yellow setting. If you have both sides of your corner tank painted black and lights only on the gray Sat+ setting for 3.5 to 4 hours a day, its the equivalent of keeping a night light on for a few hours a day in your tank. Take a look at the pic for the remote below. The only all grey settings are in the moonlight with cloud commands.

uploadfromtaptalk1390953832445.jpg

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
The settings ive been using is the light purple (on top of the darker blue).

Ive switched the light to the yellow settings. Here is a pic if the tank. I started taking some of the alge off and realized I needed to snap a pic (very minimal was removed). Anubias have a slight brown tint on top. Ive also got a pothos with bright green alge on the roots.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390973962.705087.jpg

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
How long has your tank been set up, w/c amount/frequency? Temperature? Water test results? Now that you've posted a pic, I'm sure folks will chime in with more suggestions on how to help. How are your discus and angel faring in this tank? I'm pretty sure your sat+ light didn't cause your algae issues.

The light purple setting isn't a bright setting or helpful to plants at all btw. I'd start with a thorough cleaning and and water change as soon as you can.

Breezyod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2013
South Carolina
Tank looks like it's been up for along time. That's a big bioload on a 50gallon? I would not add any other fish, definitely not to help with algae. I would say just clean out the inside of the tank on the walls with a sponge or something. What's your water change schedule? Parameters? That would help answer what the cause is of this algae problem, like others have said you need to stitch this problem up not put a bandaid on it.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
The settings ive been using is the light purple (on top of the darker blue).

Ive switched the light to the yellow settings. Here is a pic if the tank. I started taking some of the alge off and realized I needed to snap a pic (very minimal was removed). Anubias have a slight brown tint on top. Ive also got a pothos with bright green alge on the roots.

Never have direct light on pothos roots, most cases this equates to algae on them, try hiding the roots a little better. And it appears your tank just needs a thorough cleaning, as this could be attributed to a lot of organic buildup in the system and not enough plants to consume it. Spend a day and start with a 50% wc, clean all glass, filters and substrate and you should see improvement if you get a good 8 hours of the right light!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Will hide the roots, thanks F1

Tank has been running for at least 7yrs. Has seen its share of JDM grow outs and never had a bio issue. I've always adjusted my wc with feeding amount. Amonia/Nitrite 0.00, Nitrate 5.0, 79-81* and Bi-weekly 50% water change for the past year or so. Just to add, the curtain stays half closed, tank is almost against the wall so its a struggle to open completely, with that said, whatever minimal sunlight gets through the curtain is what hits the tank during sunset time etc...

Its funny if its just a good cleaning because I've never ever had to do more than wipe my glass down for an extremely small amount of alge, so for this to happen in the time its been running, its abnormal :).

Thanks for the help/tips all, will do a F1-thorough cleaning over the weekend:headbang2

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I have UFO pleco and ottocinulus for my planted tank. So far it has been ok. You might need to dump the pleco in for a few days then take it out.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I dont own a pleco in any tank lol. They poop to much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store