What would you call these ANGELFISH (?), and report on how they have done since last year

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Back in November (2021) I purchased two baby angelfish, which were sold as “F1 hybrid of S. altum”. Store was Aquarium Center in Clemendon, NJ, a very nice store that I like and recommend to locals. Although not quite stated, the assumption was they were hybrids of S. altum and S. scalare of some sort, and that they were tank raised. At the time they were about 2+ inches tall or so.
While in quarantine, it became clear they were riddled with internal parasites, which prompted serious deworming. Treatment appeared to be successful, resulting in expelling masses of worms, including Cestoda, but possibly also round worms. After about three months they were placed in an ‘artificial community’ tank (with fish and plants from various continents), which is not typical of my usual tanks. They and the community have done well in there.
Last June, they surprised me with their first spawn, which was readily eaten overnight, possibly by all fish in the tank including themselves. As far as I know they have not attempted it again but this makes me think they could be willing to do better if placed in better settings (i.e., by themselves in a suitable tank). I have yet to decide what to do about that. I am not even sure I actually have a pair, they could be two females, but I don’t think so.

My question is what kind of angelfish these may be. I believe there is no reason to think there is any S. altum in them (so no F1 ‘hybrid S. altum’ at all). To me, they look like the Nanay River Pterophyllum scalare, as available from various reputable vendors. Their shape, height, spotting, and incipient yellow/reddish in lower part are just like those fish. I have seen similar fish referred to as “Peruvian altum” before, as well as “false altum”. To me they are absolutely gorgeous and am very happy with them, but believe they are tank-raised Nanay P. scalare. They are a bit on the smallish size for angels, but this may have to do with their rocky beginnings (health), plus they may still grow larger. What do more experienced people think of what they are? Aren’t them quite nice? I sure think so…. but welcome opinions.

Photos: 1) During quarantine (2021) – at right, awful external bumps visible in the digestive area (not when I first bought them!) and protruding masses of worms; 2) Spawning (last June) – female ovipositor clearly seen in one fish. 3-4) Recent photos.
Cheers and thanks!

parasites comp.jpg
breeding comp.jpg
IMG_0793 crop.jpg
IMG_0796.jpg

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I think I would use the generic term “wild type” for these since you don’t have a verified collection point.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Yea looks like rio nanays. Or some kind of spotted Peruvians. But def not hybrids of altums. Always love the rio nanays. They get better with age and their spots comes out more with some. Very good looking pair u got.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you All! I agree with the Nanay ascendence. That's what it looked to me from the start. I am very happy with them.
They spawned again, and the eggs eaten again. I need to think about that.
This is my recent shot of my single Pterophyllum dummerillii (=leopoldi), the long nosed angel.
IMG_0724.jpg

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
Thank you All! I agree with the Nanay ascendence. That's what it looked to me from the start. I am very happy with them.
They spawned again, and the eggs eaten again. I need to think about that.
This is my recent shot of my single Pterophyllum dummerillii (=leopoldi), the long nosed angel.
View attachment 1504016
The long nose is on my list to buy soon. I love these fish. My first 'rio Nanay ' were not exactly what I had purchased. When they bred I was shocked they threw platinum fry in their spawn. So I was clearly duped lol but none the less I was able to rehome the fry easily. My second group I purchased from a reputable dealer but so far no pairing yet.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I still have my two in a community tank. They have not laid eggs again but a few days ago the female had her breeding tube down for a while again. Did not see any eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store