whats a good fish to clean up my oscars mess?

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
I recently bought an albino tiger oscar without realizing how messy they can be. My bio filter can handle it with ease but I hate to see the food wasted is there a good fish out there that could live off of his table scraps? The oscar is about 5 inches now. I also have a 6 " or so poly senegal bichir:)

seds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
Canada
My tinfoil barbs used to hang around my OSCAR when he ate and pick up the scraps that spew out of his (her) gills.

They also ... (barf) like to pick up the oscar's craps... and eat em. I guess oscar's digestive systems are inefficient enough that the poo has some nutritional value and (gag) flavor leftover from the cichlid pellets.

They sometimes bite the oscar's buttock when it is comming. No joke. I am not sure a smaller kind of cyprinid such as filamentous barbs or spanner barbs would do the same, but they definitely would eat the tiny chunks that come out of the O's gills. Unless you have a 150 + gallon tank I would not suggest tinfoil barb.

Filament barbs grow to about 6 inches and Spanner/T barbs grow to 8. Rosy barbs are SUPPOSED to grow 6 inches but that is a world record or something, 4 inches is generally their max size.

You would probably have to add a bit of flakes for the barbs until their mouths get big enough to eat pellets whole. Depending on the pellet size this may never be unnecessary. I have no idea how long it takes for these sorts of barb to grow up, but if you get them at less than 2 inches they could become prey.

What size of tank do you have? If it is a 55 you are full up already.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Yeah tinfoil barbs get big too, so if you get a decent size one it should hopefully keep up somewhat with your Oscar.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wish I had known this about Tin foils when I was into Oscars that would have been quite a sight.I was going to suggest simply netting out the expelled food as it could clog up the filter and cut its efficiency or just about any catfish that does not grow too big could handle it.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Its a 55 growout. The oscar is moving to a pond in 6 months . I was thinking something like a cory ? I have a raphael cat in another tank but he is a little small

south coast nelly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
If you can find them quite big go for hoplo catfish, do not do cory as that will be dinner.......
I have silver sharks/clown loches/tinfoil barbs with my oscars and every scrap is consumed......Best off feeding little by little..

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Thanks guys! I love catfish so I am gonna go that route. Any cats that are scavengers but can take a beating ? Maybe a big raphael ?

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
get something that is more active, like a hoplo or something along those lines....although I wouldn't want it to eat just scraps obviously.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store