Not open for further replies.

gokuson4

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
joeyballz;2246020; said:
Well I do like to feed my fish the best :D

I thought FH's were fertile that's what was special about them being hybirds. Is that not the case with all of them?
LOL..because they are hybrids, that is why the majority of Flowerhorns are not fertile; especially the males!!! Thats right, even female w/ eggs can be dudds. Hence, if you get a male flowerhorn, chances are..he's not fertile. However, you can breed other male(south american) to a female flowerhorns (high potential of being fertile) and get your hybrid. Then you can give your hybrid a new name.."Kamakazi,"..lol!!! By the way, Davey your in and Galaxie(Alex)..I definitely got you bro. Get home safe but have fun in College..woohoo!!!

Davey_8313

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
With Wife & Kids in Stafford
gokuson4;2246244; said:
LOL..because they are hybrids, that is why the majority of Flowerhorns are not fertile; especially the males!!! Thats right, even female w/ eggs can be dudds. Hence, if you get a male flowerhorn, chances are..he's not fertile. However, you can breed other male(south american) to a female flowerhorns (high potential of being fertile) and get your hybrid. Then you can give your hybrid a new name.."Kamakazi,"..lol!!! By the way, Davey your in and Galaxie(Alex)..I definitely got you bro. Get home safe but have fun in College..woohoo!!!
Thanks man, can't wait. My friend is going to want some also...

JPlikewoah

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
Mc Donalds
gokuson4;2246244; said:

I gatta correct you on this bro.

MAJORITY of the flowerhorns are FERTILE!

The classic breed or cross breed that was only crossed with other classic breed so called "flowerhorns" such as zz,kamalau(GM),zzmalau, Jing Kang are all mostly fertile unless it was born with a defect just like humans. It's just those male kamfas(especially 2nd generation and on kamfas) with white eyes are 99.9% infertile. Kamfas are first made by crossing a classic breed flowerhorn(as listed above) with a female parrot. Now, we all know that parrots are hybrids and male parrots are 99.9% fertile, and this is where the sterile gene starts if the kamfa is a male. But like a first gen kamfa like this, lots of males are still fertile. If you cross a male 1st gen kamfa like this with another parrot or another 1st gen female kamfa, the next gen male kamfas will be sterile most likely. SRT are the same way, since SRT(red color) had to be pulled out from crossing a parrot.

JP

gokuson4

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
JPlikewoah;2246770; said:
I gatta correct you on this bro.

MAJORITY of the flowerhorns are FERTILE!

Jp, knowing where you got your flowerhorn is one thing. To some, many don't know what these flowerhorns are from due to hybrid breeding, accidental breeding, ..simply put, many of the males are not fertile... And we all know about the Kamfa..lol!!!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Good morning everyone,

/\/\FK proudly announces the creation of social groups. Please follow THIS LINK. Therefore, I will close this thread here and encourage you all to gather in the newly created forum for fun, non-Buy&Sell-related chat.

Buy & Sell offers and requests will remain in this forum here. Please create new threads for your sales, but these 216 pages of chat and sales mix are too hard to navigate - better to start over fresh.

If you plan on organizing regional meets, please discuss these in the already existing form following THAT LINK.

This restructure is aimed at increasing information flow and readability, hopefully leading to an improved /\/\FK experience for all

Have fun in the new forum,
and Happy Fishkeeping,
HarleyK

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Go HERE for your group chat about stuff that's not Buy & Sell related.

:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store