What's happening to my planted tank?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Which finned fixture are you using? The fugeray, the planted+, or the rayII?

My guess is that you are running high light, meaning you'd need injected co2 or to lower the light, and potentially used up the nutrients in your substrate and should start adding some fertilizers.

Also, in higher lighting, even with a dirt tank I've found you need SOME ferts just because there are certain nutrients that the soil doesn't have that the plants need.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States

My guess is that you are running high light, meaning you'd need injected co2 or to lower the light, and potentially used up the nutrients in your substrate and should start adding some fertilizers.

Also, in higher lighting, even with a dirt tank I've found you need SOME ferts just because there are certain nutrients that the soil doesn't have that the plants need.
Sorry, must have missed that in my edit. Using the Ray2. I have bumped my light cycle down another hour, so it's down to just under 8 hours a day.
I had algae right off the bat when I started the tank, but it was getting over 11 hours a day before I had a timer due to my work schedule. I knocked it down to just under 9 hours and the algae all went away for a few months...

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Sorry, must have missed that in my edit. Using the Ray2. I have bumped my light cycle down another hour, so it's down to just under 8 hours a day.
I had algae right off the bat when I started the tank, but it was getting over 11 hours a day before I had a timer due to my work schedule. I knocked it down to just under 9 hours and the algae all went away for a few months...

It's too strong of a light without co2 injection. Reducing the hours even to 6 wouldn't help...try raising the height of the light and that will lower your PAR

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
It's too strong of a light without co2 injection. Reducing the hours even to 6 wouldn't help...try raising the height of the light and that will lower your PAR

Ok, right now it's about an inch off the glass canopy, how much higher would I need to raise it?
I'll have to see what I can find to put under it to raise it up a couple inches or more...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Ok, right now it's about an inch off the glass canopy, how much higher would I need to raise it?
I'll have to see what I can find to put under it to raise it up a couple inches or more...

Found some scrap wood from another project, and now the light is about 3.5" above the tank. We'll see how that does. Hopefully see some improvement in a few days...

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY

We agree pretty well herp. Although you have a way easier way of getting the point across.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
We agree pretty well herp. Although you have a way easier way of getting the point across.

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

Kinda hard to not be super short with everything when that's how you grew up :p

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Well my LFS only carries API Leaf Zone and Tetra FloraPride, are either of those an acceptable substitute for Flourish Excel? (I must have got the Flourish from one of the LFS I go to almost an hour away, so don't go up there very often.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store