What's the best starter reptile for a 11yr old?

FishSkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
mother earth
yes a gecko or ..if your willing to help a iguana

missyme06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2006
United States
corn snake or leopard gecko, not just any kind of gecko some kinds are very high maintenance.

you should have your kid read a book about the pet he is getting before you let him get it.

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
TheMightyOscar;618047; said:
crested are incredibly easy to care for.

they can be kept at room temp as long as its in the 70's, they are docile, and they love baby food
yea i agree but instead of baby food you can by a T-REX diet that comes in a little bottle and you mix it with water it last forever 1 bottle easily last 3 months(for babies atleast)

o and if you go to a reptile show you could prob find a good deal on a crested...i got a good one for like 45 i think it was mighta been 40...if your close i might sell you mine since i wanna get a pair to breed

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
Pfft stay away from turtles. Red Eared Sliders grow 12" and require huge tanks. A leopard gecko is a nicer choice, because they are calm, dont need a big tank, or UVB. Just because Red Eared Sliders and a lot of other turtles are cheap and frequently available doesn't mean they are good starter reptiles.
Paul

Weasel F.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
Amarillo,Texas
FishSkins;620098; said:
yes a gecko or ..if your willing to help a iguana

Frist off i want to say thanks to all who replied, I had a tuff time finding the gekos here. We looked and looked even went the inter net way asfor shipping one. but it just didn't seem to go the way we wanted so. We went the Iguana way. we looked at some small ones around 8 to 10inches and young. But we had heard and the sells ladie told us that.when they where that small they go throw what she called a teenage girl stage. Said they got aggrassive { well not real agrassive but didn't wnt to be held.} She said that they would get to that stage and be a little to hard for a 11yr old to handle. So we went with a 2yr old female iguana.
I built a large cage for her and went all out on a outdoor cage for the summer time days only. Anles it would be ok to keep outside at night ,not overnight. Anyway here's a few pictures of "Striker" we call her striker cause she struck the cat with her tail the frist day and damnear knocked it's ass out. I thought that was just to funny. now they lay togeather under the heat light.

the cage i built for her is 46" X 39" 53" tall outdoor cage is 5' X 5' X 7.5' tall.
She's right a 3 foot long 36' and has tons of room.

younger brother likes it better then sister. LOL

Jos cool with Striker

Any input on care?

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Nice!

I notive that there is a heat lamp in the enclosure but is there a full spectrum light as well??

I ask because they are VERY important to the health of your iguanas. ;)

Weasel F.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
Amarillo,Texas
Yes there's UV light in there. it's on the left side of the cage at the top. but she's never in it. She spend almost all her day laying on the top point of the log close to the heat light. I thank it's becuse we are in the middle of winter here and how had snow strom after strom roll in the past two weeks. But yea there's a UV full spectum light. it cost me a arm and leg for the damn thing. it's 24" bulb and it was $75 bucks.

Weasel F.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
Amarillo,Texas
We are feding her or him { what's a good way to sex one? we have been told both sexs on her just wanted to ask that frist off.} Now he's eatting sliced Apples,carrets, pilled grapes, and she get's a 4in pallat of Rep-Cal maintenance formula adult Iguana food. Is there another food that's as good? She's adding wight nicly but not over doing it. she leaves a little in the plate every morning and finishs it up right about bed time.

Yea the tail whip is how she got her name { Striker } The day we got her our cat came in the room with her and she bowed up full beard and slaped the **** out of the cat. I lmao for a hr after that. the cats wont come near the cage now. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store