What's the deal with clown loaches?

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
I somehow found myself here and thought I'd add this info to this amusing thread despite it being a few years old.

Marge was 11.5 inches as her owner states on Loaches Online at this link. Not 16 inches.

Fish appear to grow fastest during internet discussions.

Her age was not known as she was donated and her receiver (not the final owner) did not ask the question.

I would add that the final owner of Marge was Emma Turner who was accurate and authoritative and did great service to Clown Loach owners by providing good information on both Loaches Online and Practical Fishkeeping magazine at a time when there was very little, much in the manner that RD does on this forum.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I've a couple at 7" and they look great at that size. Pier aquatics in the UK had some in the last couple of years that looked about 12" but looked different in body shape to me. They were far sleeker than my clowns, if wild caught maybe they eat less or maybe a different sub species that get bigger

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
I've a couple at 7" and they look great at that size. Pier aquatics in the UK had some in the last couple of years that looked about 12" but looked different in body shape to me. They were far sleeker than my clowns, if wild caught maybe they eat less or maybe a different sub species that get bigger
Yes I saw them at Pier Aquatics. They did have the very different shape of wild caught fish. Kalimantan forbids them to be sold over 6 inches presumably to keep the brood stock in the rivers. But they are said to be available at bigger sizes from Sumatra. However, not many of these large wild-caught fish survive in captivity according to people who have reported on them. I don't think Clown Loaches are divided into subspecies although there is some variation over their vast range.

Reactions: Simonas

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Yes I saw them at Pier Aquatics. They did have the very different shape of wild caught fish. Kalimantan forbids them to be sold over 6 inches presumably to keep the brood stock in the rivers. But they are said to be available at bigger sizes from Sumatra. However, not many of these large wild-caught fish survive in captivity according to people who have reported on them. I don't think Clown Loaches are divided into subspecies although there is some variation over their vast range.
Thats interesting to know and I am glad they are not often imported at that size .They live long lives so it makes more sense to leave them to breed in the rivers. I would love to see them in the wild such great fish.

Did you see the big blue botia too? I have 5 in my tank shaped like my clowns but the big blues were sleeker too

FerdosSintol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2021
Clown loaches (Chromobotia macracanthus) are known to be one of the largest freshwater aquarium fish, and they have the potential to grow up to 12 inches (30 centimeters) in length. However, reaching this size typically requires optimal care and suitable conditions. It's not uncommon for clown loaches to be around 5-6 inches in length and several years old, as growth rates can vary depending on factors such as diet, water quality, tank size, and genetics.

Regarding pH, clown loaches are native to rivers in Southeast Asia, where the water typically has a pH range of 6.0 to 7.5. While they can tolerate slightly higher or lower pH levels for short periods, it's generally recommended to keep their pH within this range to ensure their long-term health and well-being. A pH of 8.0 is considered high for clown loaches, and maintaining such a pH level for an extended period may have adverse effects on their health. It's best to aim for a pH level closer to their natural range to provide them with optimal conditions.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Yes I know the Blue Botia (or Yasuhikotakia modesta if you really must have the up to date latin name) and it is a fine fish. But adding it to Clown Loaches does not improve the life of the Clown Loaches and does not improve the spectacle for me so I have left it out.
Are they known not to get on? I have 5 about 6" and 7 clown loach about 6-7". They stay at different ends of the tank , I love both but if pushed I think I prefer the look of the blues they are stunning as are the clown

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Are they known not to get on? I have 5 about 6" and 7 clown loach about 6-7". They stay at different ends of the tank , I love both but if pushed I think I prefer the look of the blues they are stunning as are the clown
Agreed there. Modesta have incredible colors they are just not as comonly available in groups near me at least. I want a big tank full of each lol.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I have got eighty plus Modesta, and a dozen or so CL. I have previously had them in the same tank, and they each keep to their own group. Modesta can get to nine or ten inches. I have a couple at that size, but it takes decades to get there. CL can get larger. Modesta, given somewhere to hide, will hide much more readily than CL.

As for there just being one species, or sub-species of CL. I doubt it. In Thailand where Modesta come from, there are at least two type, red tail and yellow tail, not including Lecontei, and so many other loaches of all sizes. So in a country as big as Indonesia, with islands spread wide apart, it seems inconceivable - to me - that CL don't have a few sub-species and are the only large loach.

I am familiar with loaches.com. Much information. Mostly fact, but I am afraid I found the site - and its authors - rather short sighted.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Good to hear from a fellow Modesta keeper. I keep Red Tail Modestas as well. They are slow growers. Mine are about seven years old. All range between five & six inches. They are built like tanks. A very under-rated species.
My local zoo has a huge Asian aquarium, which has been up & running for at least 20 years. It houses Clown Loaches that are about a foot long.
20210929_092028.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store