What's this worm?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Not sure if it is the same thing but I went back and checked my old thread and Oddball identified the worm that I removed as a nematode.He also suggested levamisole as a treatment.
Thank you, Krich. That's helpful. IMHO, our worms are the same. Yes, fenbendazole and levamisole are excellent for all worms that reside in the gut, like e.g. callamanus. Our guys do not. That's the problem.

As soon as they get in the stomach they burrow through the wall and settle in the cavity and in the flesh, thus weakening the fish, causing secondary infections, which leads the affected, weakened fish to a wading bird as an easier prey - the goal of the parasite.

There these worms (yours and mine are ~ stage 4 larvae) turn sexually mature in days and produce eggs. Eggs are dropped in the water with bird poop. Oligochaeta worms feed on them and the eggs hatch and infect them as larvae stage 1. Copepods feed on Oligochaeta worms and get infected. Fish prey on the copepods (as well as Oligochaeta worms like tubifex worms) and the larvae is passed onto fish as stage 1-2. In the fish they grow into stage 2-4 until a bird snatches the fish.

And so on.

Wailuia boy, based on one evening of reading on the internet, I think you are correct - people get infected by these by consuming raw fish, sushi, etc.

My reading says once they are outside of the gut (which is very quick), there is no cure for them but surgical removal, let it be fish or human. I'd infer that the medication carried with blood is never able to reach an effective concentration to kill them when they are encysted in the flesh or in the body cavity, outside on organs, in the organs.

The good thing is that while they are larva, they cannot reproduce. They can be transferred by ingestion but there will be no eggs until they get into a bird. No bird - they will sit in the fish and grow up to ~3". From my limited understanding, they will wait forever, years, IDK about a decade, to get into a bird.

Older, larger fish have more of them than smaller, younger fish simply because in their lifetime they have eaten more copepods and other fish, prey that have the larvae, not at all because the worm multiplied inside.

(sister PCF thread: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42661#p290610 )

Last edited:

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
That freaks me out a little bit, imagine actually contracting something like that; I think I'll pass on the sashimi next time.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
AFAIK, out of the "normal" foods consumed in society at large, sushi and other dishes of raw fish remain anyone's best bet to become a worm host. Statistics speaking.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
My ophthalmologist refuses to eat any raw fish due to the possibility of an eye fluke. I grew up eating a lot of raw fish, never knew there was a risk

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've also eaten a lot of raw fish, although raw (previously frozen fish) are not the same as raw (fresh) fish.

It was my understanding (from years ago) that in Japan it's common to deep freeze fish as a preparation before eating, likely in part to make the food safe for consumption. Regulations like this exist in the US and EU.
http://seafood.oregonstate.edu/.pdf Links/Freezing-to-Kill-Nematode-Parasites-in-Fish-Products-Implications-for-HACCP.pdf

Pickled fish (like herring) are typically frozen before preparation.

Eating fresh, raw fish is certainly not a good idea.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, mate.

Yes, but the freezing should be done right - at least minus 20 Celsius and and at least 60 hours (not counting the initial cooling period which can be lengthy)... And that's where the "human factor" comes in wherein someone's error, forgetfulness, haste, chasing a $$, etc. = a hitchhiker on/in your intestine.

Sooner or later we surely all err, freezers break, power goes out then gets restored without you even knowing, etc. I personally just choose not to play this Russian roulette... yes, this gun has 1000-100,000 chambers and only one bullet, but still... :)

I do agree that I take plenty other chances. Life's dangerous - everyone will get sick and die from something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store