What's your all-time favorite new world cichlid species?

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I know we have some serious fish keepers on this board, and I'm curious to know what species made the biggest impact on your hobby? It doesn't have to be some fancy "holy grail" species, or the species that required the most work or advanced hobby skill to keep (although it could be either of these). I just want to know what species was the coolest, and most interesting in your opinion and why.

I'll start.

I've kept a bunch of the common LFS species of central americans, but I'd have to say my favorite fish ever were A. centrarchus. I had a great pair that came from one of Rapp's lines, they were pretty, easy to keep, they had really interesting behavior, and a dramatic color change when they would breed. It was also relatively easy to get rid of their fry because people actually wanted them.

Ok now it's your turn.

Last edited:

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Mines is simply a nice sized and good looking male or female convict.

Reactions: Diogenes

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
I've kept wholesale bred ones so far. Somehow by accident managed to breed very nice looking barred and pink females. Though my pairs are gone and I don't miss the breeding like rabbits. I feel the urge to snatch a few from my step dad's tank since he kept a lot of them for himself :/

Reactions: Diogenes
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store