What's your all-time favorite new world cichlid species?

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I've kept wholesale bred ones so far. Somehow by accident managed to breed very nice looking barred and pink females. Though my pairs are gone and I don't miss the breeding like rabbits. I feel the urge to snatch a few from my step dad's tank since he kept a lot of them for himself :/
I've always wanted to try the calico/marble ones but I've never seen them at an LFS and I've never thought to order them. Would be a fun breeding project.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
Do you know what variety or catch location of your robertsoni? It's beautiful and I love the all blue ones like it. A LFS had a full grown one when I was in high school and I've never forgot it. I've only been able to come across the ones that have more red in them since then.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Do you know what variety or catch location of your robertsoni? It's beautiful and I love the all blue ones like it. A LFS had a full grown one when I was in high school and I've never forgot it. I've only been able to come across the ones that have more red in them since then.
Unfortunately no. I do believe it is a Yucatan varriety, but not confirmed. I think the ones w/ more red are a Honduras variation.
The h. Deppii, yes.

Reactions: lunsforj

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/whats-your-favorite.646402/#post-7304360

My answer and many more. Right now for CA/SA there's a few but I'm still growing stuff out. My red severum is great, so is my green terror. Hoping my Lyonsi take the top spot when they reach full size. But out of everything it'd have to be my paratilopia bleekeri. Sent her to a different member and I regularly miss her.
I wanted to say my favorite was Paratilapia too until I remembered they were from Madagascar. You'd think they were NW with the personalities on them, awesome cichlid.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since there are more than 600 species (as of 1998) of new world cichlids, this is a very difficult question. And in 50+ years of cichlid keeping, I've only kept about 75 new world types.
Maybe if it was narrowed down to countries, or geographical areas.

I might say of the Caribbean cichlids haitiensus was my favorite so far.

Or if you were to say, the cool water cichlids of S America, I might say the genus Gymnogeophagus.

Or even rheophillic cichlids of Central America I'd be hard pressed to pick lentiginnosum
or what about the cichlids from west of the Andes, there is just too long a list

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Its funny, after seeing this thread, I went back and looked at old photos, and found way many more, I found 50 species from Central America alone.
Chuco micropthalmus

and then the 3 from the genus Tomocichla (maybe -1, reassigned
like T asfraci

or T tuba

then I found the Astatheros and Nosferatu folders, and it became even harder

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store