What's your all-time favorite new world cichlid species?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Are there no meeki or maculipinnis where you are?
Not that i have seen. Just Africans and more common SA like jags, JD, firemouth etc at the 2 LFS i frequent. And TBH i dont really think i am up too keeping fish like that healthy.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Not that i have seen. Just Africans and more common SA like jags, JD, firemouth etc at the 2 LFS i frequent. And TBH i dont really think i am up too keeping fish like that healthy.
Firemouths are thorichthys meeki

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Firemouths are thorichthys meeki
OMG. Lol. I am likely going to keep goldfish anyways. If i can find a cheap 3ft tank ill keep some possibly.

I am getting my little bro into kribensis though

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
My favorite changes every month it seems like. I dont have any anymore but dovii have always been fun.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Are there no meeki or maculipinnis where you are?

I'm really considering setting up a species only colony setup for a Thoricthys species. In my area all I can find is aquarium strain meeki. I'm fine with that, but im worried getting rid of fry may be difficult. I would love to do it with some wild type Mexican livebearers and some maculippinus or aureum or really any of the helleri complex. If I had to do it with meeki I would at least want to find some of known provenance. Any ideas on where to find something like that?

I saw some on wetspot's list but shipping from Portland, OR to Birmingham, AL is crazy.

Reactions: cichlidfish

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I'm really considering setting up a species only colony setup for a Thoricthys species. In my area all I can find is aquarium strain meeki. I'm fine with that, but im worried getting rid of fry may be difficult. I would love to do it with some wild type Mexican livebearers and some maculippinus or aureum or really any of the helleri complex. If I had to do it with meeki I would at least want to find some of known provenance. Any ideas on where to find something like that?

I saw some on wetspot's list but shipping from Portland, OR to Birmingham, AL is crazy.
Did they tell you the shipping would be extremely expensive? I've had fish shipped from San Antonio, Texas to Albany, New York and it wasn't that bad.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Did they tell you the shipping would be extremely expensive? I've had fish shipped from San Antonio, Texas to Albany, New York and it wasn't that bad.

I just put in their address and mine and estimated the size of the package and overnight air was like $179.00 shipping. That plus 8 or so Thoricthys seemed like an excessive amount to pay if I could find them locally or at least east of the Mississippi River.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005

I've been wanting to do something similar. I was thinking a group of t. Passiones and t. Mac. With some wild type livebarer like p. Petenensis.
I think I need to clear my basement out and add some more tanks lol. But I would also have to install a sink.

Reactions: Diogenes
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store