What's your all-time favorite new world cichlid species?

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I've been wanting to do something similar. I was thinking a group of t. Passiones and t. Mac. With some wild type livebarer like p. Petenensis.
I think I need to clear my basement out and add some more tanks lol. But I would also have to install a sink.
T. Pasionis or whatever are gorgeous. Like yellow fire mouths. I've seen mature fish that scintillate pink and tons of other colors besides yellow too.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
There's a fish store in Hoover al. I can't remember the name but they have some nice firemouths and more quality fresh water. I live an hour outside bham and i have received shipments from rapps along with cichlids of the America's. The shipping wasn't all that bad around $80 last time for $100 worth of fish including a bigger one that made the box huge. I split my time between Houston and have transported high quality fish to bham as well. I have traded with guys from southeast cichlid association to. I lost most of my contacts from my old phone but they're on fb I believe

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Back on topic. My favorites are parachromis and from that jags. Ever since I saw my first big male I have had a jag. The attitude, the interaction, the cool patterns that look like a maze, and it gets to somewhat monster size while still being manageable. Honduras is my favorite catch location with the intense blues

Reactions: cichlidfish

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I just put in their address and mine and estimated the size of the package and overnight air was like $179.00 shipping. That plus 8 or so Thoricthys seemed like an excessive amount to pay if I could find them locally or at least east of the Mississippi River.
Nah, nah, nah. You can ship from one airport to another airport anyplace in the country for like $50. I had a box of fish shipped to the airport in my hometown that from Florida, and it was definitely under $100 for sure, because I paid cash at the airport.

And I just paid $77 for FedEx next day delivery to my front door in South Louisiana from New Jersey.

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
Don't know! There's many. Big fan of the terrors. Rivulatus, festae, and stalsbergi. Owned so many of them but have not found THE one.

One think I don't understand is the attraction to trimac. I know it's a fav for many but probably one of very few that i personally have no desire at all to keep.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Don't know! There's many. Big fan of the terrors. Rivulatus, festae, and stalsbergi. Owned so many of them but have not found THE one.

One think I don't understand is the attraction to trimac. I know it's a fav for many but probably one of very few that i personally have no desire at all to keep.
I like tri macs but I know what you mean.
We all have different tastes.A lot of people love red devils but personally they do nothing for me.

Reactions: datsunfreak71

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Nah, nah, nah. You can ship from one airport to another airport anyplace in the country for like $50. I had a box of fish shipped to the airport in my hometown that from Florida, and it was definitely under $100 for sure, because I paid cash at the airport.

And I just paid $77 for FedEx next day delivery to my front door in South Louisiana from New Jersey.
Yeah I paid $65 for overnight shipping from San Antonio, Texas to Albany, New York. $177 seems crazy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store