When claspers drop, does the growth rate slow down?

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
well flowers would be different, I think those rays need to be huge before they mature.

and of all the big rays I have seen, they are all female. Maybe males grow until maturing and females just keep growing???

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
jwong1024;3841039; said:
well flowers would be different, I think those rays need to be huge before they mature.

and of all the big rays I have seen, they are all female. Maybe males grow until maturing and females just keep growing???
lol i do have a 15" mature male marble sitting in my basement right now... so they do get big eventually...

i dont know his history though. i just got him on thursday

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
omojena;3841265; said:
lol i do have a 15" mature male marble sitting in my basement right now... so they do get big eventually...

i dont know his history though. i just got him on thursday
Yes male rays do get big, but was he already that big when he matured?

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
dont know... have no history on him. he has the largest claspers i have ever seen on a male ray

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've never kept a male Marble that's gotten over a foot, and I've had quite a few. I'm not sold on them getting as big as most think.... In mine the growthrate does seem to slow down a bunch if not almost stop after they mature.

I'd kill for a 15" male Marble. All mine are stuck at a foot or less and the females just keep growing.

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
DB junkie;3841331; said:
I've never kept a male Marble that's gotten over a foot, and I've had quite a few. I'm not sold on them getting as big as most think.... In mine the growthrate does seem to slow down a bunch if not almost stop after they mature.

I'd kill for a 15" male Marble. All mine are stuck at a foot or less and the females just keep growing.
i just went to check mine out.... he is in an 18" wide tank and there is less that 2 inches left when he touches one side so he is 16" side to side... i cant believe i found this fish!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Definetly one of the craziest finds I've ever heard of. I would have stopped and bought lottery tickets on the way home, you're obviously very, very lucky.

You should make yourself some $ and sell/trade him to me..... My lil guys aren't having any luck with my big girls.....

omojena

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
nj
DB junkie;3841391; said:
Definetly one of the craziest finds I've ever heard of. I would have stopped and bought lottery tickets on the way home, you're obviously very, very lucky.

You should make yourself some $ and sell/trade him to me..... My lil guys aren't having any luck with my big girls.....

i am having the same problem... my little guys arent having any luck with my females... lots of chewing and display... but no hardcore bangin!!!

the 16" marble isnt out of the woods yet though... he is very thin... granted he is eating so half the battle is won!! i wonder how old it is!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
The first male the mated with my female was a regular motoro. He was mature at around 8". I sold him soon after and asked the new owner about a year later how he was doing. It seems he had grown quite a bit. The male marble I had was also mature at about 8". He grew very little in the time I had him, maybe 1/2". How big is he now?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store