When did your Argenteas become less shy?

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
so i have had my argentea for about a year now and hes about 6in long. when i had a bunch of juvies growing out in the tank he was out all the time and was one of my most personable fish along with my festae juvie but then i rearranged the tank to be centered around him with just tetras and angelfish as tankmates and he hid ALL the time. so i added in a baby O and he does come out a bit more now but definitely still isn't as personable as he used to be. i know that these guys can be kind of shy though until they get larger so im hoping he grows out of it but yeah so when did your guys' argenteas come out of their shell and are your adults still shy or are they personable? i even lowered my wood so that there werent any caves large enough for him to get into and he just dug one out until it was comfortable:irked:

HybridGS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
England
They are not full of character like Oscars/Amphilophus etc, it may never be what you want it to be, my Vieja Bifaciatus was never interactive (nor in the slightest bit mean)

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
oh yeah i know they are no O or midas, but its just annoying because back when i had all the other fish in the tank he was the most personable fish, almost as much as an oscar, whenever i would come up to the tank him and the baby festae would be right up there at the top waiting for me to drop in the food, but seems that when i took away his competition all he wanted to do was hide and didnt eat as much either, and even now that i have added back a little competition he is still not as open as he used to be :( but yeah i just wanted to get your guys feedback on their temperaments as i hope he becomes personable again once he gets larger (fingers crossed)

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
My 3 have never been hiders, they are 6-7" now. Actually nothing hides in my big tank except the Nanoluteus but he comes right out at feeding time. I got a lot of fish in my tank though, probly too many at this point.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
i have a vieja argentea in my 180 mixed tank-he isnt shy, and he isnt overly aggressive-he is housed with an oscar, silver dollars, firemouth and a few green sevs-they all get along great and have for the last few years.

now he is shy when i come to the tank-when i pretend im not watching he is always busy sifting for snails (his favorite treat) and challenging the chocolate cichlid (weakly, lol) who owns the back corner of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store