Where to get cichlids in Upstate NY (Syracuse)

cal1319

Feeder Fish
Nov 18, 2010
Syracuse NY
Hey guys, I love this site, and after moving from CA to upstate I decided I need to get another cichlid tank going, however, unlike in CA I dont seem to have luck in finding many pet stores that carry a good variety of cichlids. I know you can order them on-line, but the shipping is usually 50-60$ and being a grad-student Its just hard to afford. I am in Syracuse right now and dont mind a drive, or if there are any on-line shops that ship cheaper??? Thanks for any advice!

Luey

Feeder Fish
Apr 29, 2009
NY
I am in Cortland NY. I have driven up to Syracuse to go to Fairmont Aquarium, and their selection has been limited but of decent quality. They have been working on a fish room in the back for years now, when they will open that has been running joke between my brother in law and I. It may very well be open now for all i know, I have not checked.

We have also done a field trip to Atlantis Tropical Fish Hatchery in Gardner NY, and it is worth it if you are stocking a tank. It is a haul though, like 3-4 hours. But I will say the fish from them are awesome and I will be going there when I decide I need a tropheus colony for my empty 75 gallon tank :headbang2.

What are you looking for - mbuna, haps, tangs, etc? It looks like there is a CNY Aquarium Society Auction this weekend http://www.cnyas.org/.

Alton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2011
Warren, Pa
If your looking for rare cichlids you may want to try wwwthefishhub.com they ship all over the USA for 49.99 and have some awesome prices. They will beat almost everyones price. Also if your a member of www.aquaforums.net you will get a 20% discount from them. I am the owner of the site. There is very few breeders in this area, I am just below Erie, PA and I have to have all my fish shipped in. LFS do not carry top quaility cichlids around here and I have super rare to rare tastes in what I breed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store