Which filter would you recommend?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
The 2217 is $150 on Amazon. The guy I bought the tank from has the fx5 for $125; kind of a strange situation, he's basically like an aquarium shop...out of his basement. He has all this stuff that he sells lower than pet store prices and breeds and raises his own fish to sell.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Do you plan on upgrading tank size anytime soon Nigel?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I know the fx5 is stronger than the 2217 but I'd prefer to have no HOB filters on it, so that's why I'm going with it instead. It kind of sucks that they don't offer a spray bar for it but I found some instructions on how to make your own that I'll probably try out.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
With your stocking choice i would put a second filter on the tank with that fx5. Maybe the person who sold you everything has an ac500/110 in his basement of goodies? I would personally sell those 2 emps and buy the aquaclear, moves a lot of water and is good at polishing as your fish will be producing a lot of waste.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
Okay. I'll look into the aquaclear. I've rearranged my stocking a bit. It'll be a lemon oscar, a super red severum, the silver dollars and the featherfin catfish. The fish store I'm going to has whiptail catfish too and I'd like to get those instead of the featherfin just because I love the way they look but with their narrow build I'm afraid I'd wake up to find them either missing or lodged in the throat of my oscar.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
With your stocking choice i would put a second filter on the tank with that fx5. Maybe the person who sold you everything has an ac500/110 in his basement of goodies? I would personally sell those 2 emps and buy the aquaclear, moves a lot of water and is good at polishing as your fish will be producing a lot of waste.

Just out of curiosity, why would you sell the emperors but buy an aquaclear instead? Is it a lot better? I know I've seen the 110 mentioned a lot more than the emperor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store