Which is better a 120 gallon or 125 gallon?

Which is better a 120gal or a 125gal?

• Total voters

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I personally like having more visual depth and like the extra width. this also allows for more turn around room for your fish as well.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Haveing had both.. I'll take the 120 all day long.. but I like larger predetory fish.. if I wanted a community of 12"- fish I'de do the 125... it really does matter what you want to stock it with as to what dim would be better in the end.. and btw a silver arrowana in a 125 or 120 is a horrible idea... these fish huge. a 125 or 120 might last it 1yr, but not for life. and as already stated.. neither is good for a ray. I have retics ( one of the smallest species) in a 120 atm and they are less then 1yr old and will need an upgrade in the next 6 monthes w/out a doubt. a 180 6x2 footprint is an absolute min for a male retic/hystrix smaller ray and you still might need a bigger tank depending on the fish imo.

I would not put anything into a 125 i wouldn't be OK with it being in a 75. the extra 2 feet are nice and give you more volume ect.. but its still a narrow tank for anything bigger then 12" imo. at least for life.

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
48x24x24s are nice if you are limeted on space. If I got a 5 or 6 foot tank i would have to put it in a space that I don't like(in a room that is unfinished and not so nice). With the 120 48x24x24 i could put it in a good spot near the computer and tv. The best peart is that it is not one of those crazy long tanks with minamal surface area. the extra 6 inches front to back gives fish much more teritory.

AQUAMONSTER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
Albany. NY
Lenght is far more important. The extra width does not provide more territory as the lenght will because its still a 4 foot tank. If my only area for a large tank was in another room them I would turn that room into an area I used more. Most peoples tanks are in areas they aren't always in. Not sure why this thread keeps getting bumped up as its all about what u want and which is better for u.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I have to agree dont worry so much about the dimensions till you work out what you want to keep...

Those size tanks both have their advantages and disadvantages, so knowing what you want to keep will make a huge difference...

I think to start with you should decide if you want:

A) a community tank with smaller fish

B) a single specimen predatory tank

C) something else such as a planted / aquascaped tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
Lenght is far more important. The extra width does not provide more territory as the lenght will because its still a 4 foot tank. If my only area for a large tank was in another room them I would turn that room into an area I used more. Most peoples tanks are in areas they aren't always in. Not sure why this thread keeps getting bumped up as its all about what u want and which is better for u.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I know length is a little better but depth is better that very tall tanks unless you are keeping very tall fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store