which moss to use???

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
hey everyone I am trying to add some more green to my 220 on my large piece of driftwood. I would like to add one of the more exotic or rare moss but I am unsure of what one will do the best and have the desired effect I am after. here is a pic of the setup with the driftwood in question.

I am wanting somthing that will grow good with mid to high light but no co2. I dose ferts regularly though. also I am wanting it to lay nicely and was thinking of placing it on the long sweeping branch going up and to the right. the mosses I have looked at are willow,xmas, and taiwan. I am leaning heavily towards taiwan but I don't know if it will do what I want.Any input would be great. thanks

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I use Java Moss, but if you don't like it, I will defer to the plant experts.

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
In all the pics of java moss I have seen it look svery stringy. I am wanting a very green very full look and I don't think java moss will fill these requests. thanks for the input though

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Try Riccia: Amano style :thumbsup:

HarleyK

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
HarleyK said:
Try Riccia: Amano style :thumbsup:

HarleyK
I agree, look at some of Takashi Amano's stuff, he will bring to light some nice carpeting plants which is what it sounds like you want.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
waterscapeaq said:
with the big fishes he has inside the tank is not advisable to have riccia cos when riccia grows long enough with a sweep of the fishes he has in the tank the riccia will float up to the top of the tank do consider with care
Riccia is a plant that does have to be maintained regularly. It is necessary to trim it back as you would with most garden plants. Basically just keep your lawn mowed, and you will be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store