Which one is the bigger killer, Hoplias Aimara or Channa Micropeltes

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Well sadly still no answer from the owner of the dead giant aimara about how big his new one is. So far we know there are claims of 88lbs aimara and micropeltes of roughly the same weight. Anything proven did not pass the 40lbs barrier and both species seem to be pretty close.

Yet there are two other big species in the channa tree which are rumored to get quite big, channa argus and channa marulius. The info is even more vague there, but considering both are reportet to grow quite a bit longer than both aimara/micrpeltes, they might also be heavier in the end.

In case of marulius, there is a video of fish which reached over 40" in lenght:

The fish in the video looks like Channa Maruliodes instead. They do get huge but I think the general consensus this Channa is pretty docile compared to the others. :)

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Well i agree, that the head looks a little bit big for marulius, which normally seems to have more of a shovel-shaped head (like argus).

But maruliodes with a lenght of 110cm? That sounds unlikely, so maybe just marulius with an unusual or deformed head.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
I am not really experienced with Channas.

Just voicing my thoughts based on the "flowers" pattern on the side of the fish - something unique to Maruliodes.

I could be wrong though. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store