White fuzzy stuff on fish

Naomi Archuleta

Feeder Fish
Apr 16, 2017
I have a 10 gallon tank with a simple filter. one guppy, one sunburst platy, and one mickey mouse platy. something fuzzy and white are appearing on my fish and my 1 in. pleco just died this morning. I just recently started keeping a tank and need some help, please.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 10 gallon tank with a simple filter. one guppy, one sunburst platy, and one mickey mouse platy. something fuzzy and white are appearing on my fish and my 1 in. pleco just died this morning. I just recently started keeping a tank and need some help, please.

Welcometo MFK☺ The fuzzy white is fungus this is caused by declining water conditions. I suggest doing a 50% water change but you must have a good dechlorinator such as prime . The dechlorinator will neutralize the chlorine in your tap water. Have anyone mentioned the process of cycling an aquarium?

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I've found that livebearers like mollies are prone to funguses if the water quality isn't the best. Do you have an api master test kit? I would get one and test the water. Test your tap water also. Perhaps an ammonia or nitrate spike occured? Maybe the temperature dropped too? I remember my mollies had fungal issuues and the shimmies when I accidentally left the heater out. Oops.

You can also add a small bit of aquarium or pure kosher salt, use 1tbsp per 5 gallons, it should help any wounds or fin tears they might have too. I like to try that first before meds if I'm unsure.

Good luck. Livebearers are a great start for fishkeeping!

Naomi Archuleta

Feeder Fish
Apr 16, 2017
Welcometo MFK☺ The fuzzy white is fungus this is caused by declining water conditions. I suggest doing a 50% water change but you must have a good dechlorinator such as prime . The dechlorinator will neutralize the chlorine in your tap water. Have anyone mentioned the process of cycling an aquarium?
I've heard about it briefly but I dont know anything specific about it and thank you. I'll get right on changing the water tonight, but I also completely cleaned the tank two days ago, is it still okay to go through with the water change?

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yes. If the tank is still cycling you will need to do changes at least every other day. It should be safe to do a 25-50% with no problems on that 10. The fish in cycle will take a little bit longer than if you use bacteria supplements/pure ammonia or established media, it can at least a few weeks. You will know when the cycle is working once ammonia and nitrite remain at 0 and nitrate is reading and under 40ppm. Hope that helps. I think there is a sticky on cycling somewhere.

Ps if you know someone with an established tank you can steal some filter media, it will have the bacteria to help seed the new tank!

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Naomi Archuleta

Feeder Fish
Apr 16, 2017
Yes. If the tank is still cycling you will need to do changes at least every other day. It should be safe to do a 25-50% with no problems on that 10. The fish in cycle will take a little bit longer than if you use bacteria supplements/pure ammonia or established media, it can at least a few weeks. You will know when the cycle is working once ammonia and nitrite remain at 0 and nitrate is reading and under 40ppm. Hope that helps. I think there is a sticky on cycling somewhere.

Ps if you know someone with an established tank you can steal some filter media, it will have the bacteria to help seed the new tank!
I'm so sorry but whats a media...

Reactions: GamerChick5567

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What do you mean by completely cleaned the tank?
To have a healthy tank, you need a biofilm of beneficial bacteria covering all surfaces, and media in the filter.
If you've taken everything out, thoroughly cleaned it off, you may have destroyed that needed biofilm which helps you cycle a tank.
That biofilm consumes ammonia and other waste products given off by the gills, and in the feces of fish.
If that's how you cleaned the tank, doing large water changes are what you need to do to dilute ammonia and other toxins.
It usually takes 4-6 weeks to successfully cycle a tank.
The fungus (or bacterial infections, many look similar) may be due to stress, if your tank was not cycled.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store