David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey everyone, recently picked up a baby fly river turtle 4” in length. Has a little white spot on the right side of its shell. Previous owner has been treating with salt baths every other day. Overall very healthy turtle, eats like crazy. Just wanted some other people’s input who have kept this turtle. Is this fungus? Shedding maybe? Would it be recommended to salt my whole tank? Anyone have any experience with how other fish listed below do with aquarium salt? Would aquarium salt benefit the turtle in the long run? Read up on dozens of other forums from ages ago. Would love some new opinions! Thanks everyone!

Tank size 135g (300g coming next year)
Tank mates
x1 5” jardini
x3 2.5” datnoids
x2 5” clown loach
x1 5” L600 pleco
x1 5” tigrinus

filtration
x2 AC 110 hob filters
x1 Fluval FX6

60% water change every week

temperature currently 86°

water parameters are good

the dark patches on the turtle is just algae growth, previous owner had a big ass tank outside. Algae already falling off😁

IMG_8175.jpeg

IMG_8211.jpeg

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Update from today. Have been doing treatment with diluted Betadine once a day. I remove the turtle from tank, pat the fungus area dry with a clean paper towel and put some Betadine on it and let it sit for half an hour. Water change today and added more aquarium salt to the tank. Outer edges seem to be healing up but the center part looks like it’s getting deeper. Any input would be very appreciated. Thank you everyone.

IMG_8382.jpeg

IMG_8384.jpeg

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
best of luck man, I feel like 99% of the FRT that came in this year legally or not ( most are fake cites ) had some serious fungus issues or bites on them. I have 2 and was about to make a post about one of them. There's so much mixed information; don't dry dock, don't use betadine, do iodine baths, use Acriflavine. The amount of information on these turtles seems so iffy. Mine came in with a bite on him and even though my tank is 100%, ph, salinity, etc.. it's still showing signs of fungus growth and skin peeling (idk how to describe it) meanwhile the female is perfectly fine going about her day.

edit: I have learned not to ever keep a pleco with my FRT though, My biggest and first frt had a 12" royal pleco riding her one day sucking on the shell. Sold that pleco the same day.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
best of luck man, I feel like 99% of the FRT that came in this year legally or not ( most are fake cites ) had some serious fungus issues or bites on them. I have 2 and was about to make a post about one of them. There's so much mixed information; don't dry dock, don't use betadine, do iodine baths, use Acriflavine. The amount of information on these turtles seems so iffy. Mine came in with a bite on him and even though my tank is 100%, ph, salinity, etc.. it's still showing signs of fungus growth and skin peeling (idk how to describe it) meanwhile the female is perfectly fine going about her day.
What have u been doing to treat your turtle? Spoke to a LFS that has a 20 year old one he recommended a diluted Betadine solution, dry up the part of the shell & apply solution. Or to just let it go away naturally but it’s just getting worse even with all the treatments

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
What have u been doing to treat your turtle? Spoke to a LFS that has a 20 year old one he recommended a diluted Betadine solution, dry up the part of the shell & apply solution. Or to just let it go away naturally but it’s just getting worse even with all the treatments
I haven't done anything yet. I wanted to see if it would go away on it's own. He came in with some spots on his belly as well ( but those looked like ulcers?) regardless, those healed up, you can still see where they are, but fresh skin is growing. But the bite spot regardless of being in almost brackish and a ph of 8.1 was brownish, it's now white, but underneath the shell on that spot has a large yellow scab? idk, I'm going to take him out for pictures tomorrow and brush off the sand to see what he looks like and get an opinion.

edit: I can't give you advice, as I've never ran into issues having these animals for 15ish years. One in a community tank with no salt and a lower PH and one in a solo pond with koi. To me though, for it to get that bad that quick, i'd be leaning towards the pleco or loaches doing that.

Last edited:

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
I haven't done anything yet. I wanted to see if it would go away on it's own. He came in with some spots on his belly as well ( but those looked like ulcers?) regardless, those healed up, you can still see where they are, but fresh skin is growing. But the bite spot regardless of being in almost brackish and a ph of 8.1 was brownish, it's now white, but underneath the shell on that spot has a large yellow scab? idk, I'm going to take him out for pictures tomorrow and brush off the sand to see what he looks like and get an opinion.

edit: I can't give you advice, as I've never ran into issues having these animals for 15ish years. One in a community tank with no salt and a lower PH and one in a solo pond with koi. To me though, for it to get that bad that quick, i'd be leaning towards the pleco or loaches doing that.
Might have to try and isolate the turtle then. Honestly thought it would be getting better by now with all the treatment it’s been getting. Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated!

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Might have to try and isolate the turtle then. Honestly thought it would be getting better by now with all the treatment it’s been getting. Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated!
I didn't do much, I don't trust clown loaches or plecos with anything tbh lol.

I did message two people I know who provided like 200 FRT's this season to the hobby, so i'll let you know what they say.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
I didn't do much, I don't trust clown loaches or plecos with anything tbh lol.

I did message two people I know who provided like 200 FRT's this season to the hobby, so i'll let you know what they say.
Yeah I’m definitely putting an egg crate to divide the tank tomorrow. Now that I think about it, would make sense for it to be the loaches or pleco, although i do keep them very very well fed. Those *******s like to pick at everything. Thank you milkman!

Reactions: milkman407

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
Yeah I’m definitely putting an egg crate to divide the tank tomorrow. Now that I think about it, would make sense for it to be the loaches or pleco, although i do keep them very very well fed. Those *******s like to pick at everything. Thank you milkman!
bro the loaches even fu** with my leichardti I got rid of them.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
bro the loaches even fu** with my leichardti I got rid of them.
Might just give them away to my friend then. Hopefully they don’t mess with the turtle too much during the night. Upside to this is I do see the borders of the wound turning back to the shell color again so it’s like it’s trying to heal plus turtle still has a very strong appetite & very active. Wound is just getting deeper😓

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store