who has the largest florida gar?

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
We all agree though that regardless of how great the fish care and how big the tank, we're talking a few years down the road if the fish is only 11 inches?

People seem optimistic like it's going to happen by xmas

BigJ

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Ohio
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4438836; said:
u might got a huge tank, but ill still see u in a few years. THe experts can chime in here , but i am unaware of anyone having a YOY florida at 24"

Not everybody posts fish on the internet. So i dout any of us or these "experts" have a clue... I grew up in Florida and my Grandfather was a big Bass fisherman... I remember him catching Massive Gar.. He hated them broke there snouts and threw them.. (they stole bait like candy) I've seen some big Florida there for sure out there.

IMO it wont take long Kevin. Gl with it. ;)

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Ok, we do have experts. they work with gar for a living.
next, they grow larger in the wild than in captivity. for example, a gator gar can get nearly 10ft in the wild(not quite 10) in captivity a YOY gator gar can maybe get to 5ft in captivity but few hav ever reached 4ft.

We are not talking about catching huge floridas then throwing them in a tank and saying iv got the largest. talking YOY ur most likly are not gonna hit 24" plain and simple. and if u do its gonna take awhile. a long while.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
ive got a yoy grown florida gar @ 21" and have heard of some hitting 23+"

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
and i think we have some members on here with 20" gar. but it took a long time to get there and its not common. not saying its not possible to reach those sizes from YOY but its not common.

Planetnicolas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2010
USA NJ
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;4439240; said:
Ok, we do have experts. they work with gar for a living.
next, they grow larger in the wild than in captivity. for example, a gator gar can get nearly 10ft in the wild(not quite 10) in captivity a YOY gator gar can maybe get to 5ft in captivity but few hav ever reached 4ft.

We are not talking about catching huge floridas then throwing them in a tank and saying iv got the largest. talking YOY ur most likly are not gonna hit 24" plain and simple. and if u do its gonna take awhile. a long while.
ouch xander owned you 21 inches isnt that far from 24 I think that with a good diet and a big tank its possible but it wont come for xmas

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Planetnicolas;4439358; said:
ouch xander owned you 21 inches isnt that far from 24 I think that with a good diet and a big tank its possible but it wont come for xmas
He made a comment right after xanders post. And 21" is actually pretty vastly different than 24" when it comes to having reached a common maximum captive size.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thank you!
Planetnicolas;4439358; said:
no xander did not own me. how did he? seriously dude? WTH?

sigh, never mind. Ur right. ull grow ur YOY gar to 24" in a week.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
when he suddenly decided to make it so. i dunno what ever

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store