who have the largest alligator gar here !

convict94

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
detroit, Mi
when i was about 6 or 7 i caught an alligator gar while ice fishing it was about 50"+ it was so big that it couldn't fit through the hole in the ice shanny.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Polypterus;1410661; said:
No it is not....That was a joke....
and about as real as the "Dog-eating trailer park gar"....It was not a gar it was a Snakehead...
a snakehead that is big enough to eat a dog? do you know what sp.?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
demjor19;1410851; said:
a snakehead that is big enough to eat a dog? do you know what sp.?
Guacha of coarse everyone knows this.... Yeesh
They eat Bull mastiffs in one gulp...and take down pitbulls chained up forty feet from any body of water....

OK well anyhow.... are we done with posting a bunch of spam, crap and stupidity???

Can we focus on the FACTS about gar and not stupid myths or outright Lies about them? These fish already have a bad reputation can we at least discuss the truth about them rather then the lies that have fueled ignorance about them?

My god why is it so hard to give any respect to these fish for what they are? "Gator gar eat dogs"...:irked: ... "It will bite your hand off".... :irked:

"What do I feed my Rocket gar, Asian gar, marble gar"..... :irked:....Yeah lets just lump these unrelated fish by common name and further disrespect lepisosteids of their right to be treated with respect and dignity and lump them in with Tetras and flying fish... Not like the state sponsored systematic extermination attempts where not enough, now lets just make sure they remain something unimportant by dilution....

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Polypterus;1411152; said:
Guacha of coarse everyone knows this.... Yeesh
They eat Bull mastiffs in one gulp...and take down pitbulls chained up forty feet from any body of water....

OK well anyhow.... are we done with posting a bunch of spam, crap and stupidity???

Can we focus on the FACTS about gar and not stupid myths or outright Lies about them? These fish already have a bad reputation can we at least discuss the truth about them rather then the lies that have fueled ignorance about them?

My god why is it so hard to give any respect to these fish for what they are? "Gator gar eat dogs"...:irked: ... "It will bite your hand off".... :irked:

"What do I feed my Rocket gar, Asian gar, marble gar"..... :irked:....Yeah lets just lump these unrelated fish by common name and further disrespect lepisosteids of their right to be treated with respect and dignity and lump them in with Tetras and flying fish... Not like the state sponsored systematic extermination attempts where not enough, now lets just make sure they remain something unimportant by dilution....
ok...thats what i thought. never heard of a GIANT snakehead. you just caught me off guard since you normally dont post BS.

as far as gar go...i get so tired of seeing people killing them w/ a bow and arrow and just letting them rot! what do people have against them? the only reasoning ive ever heard is that "they eat all the gamefish". this is a BS reason in my opinion. if they were an invasive species i could see, but they are as native as a fish can be.

minizookeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
simi valley calif.
i agree with polypterus no more bs all you guys can find another web site as far as im concerned. facts only. tonight was the first time i tried to feed with feeding stick.first try was with live gf on a stick(yummy)at least i thought it looked good.the gar didnt think so.he eyeballed it for a while and refused.we will try again tomorrow.this is day two for no eating. how long do you think i should wait to give in?i would think not long but you know more about this species then i do.(as i said before my gar questions are directed to richard(polypterus)and anyone else who has first hand experience only. hope i can call you richard.:)thanks for all your help.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
minizookeeper;1411923; said:
i agree with polypterus no more bs all you guys can find another web site as far as im concerned. facts only. tonight was the first time i tried to feed with feeding stick.first try was with live gf on a stick(yummy)at least i thought it looked good.the gar didnt think so.he eyeballed it for a while and refused.we will try again tomorrow.this is day two for no eating. how long do you think i should wait to give in?i would think not long but you know more about this species then i do.(as i said before my gar questions are directed to richard(polypterus)and anyone else who has first hand experience only. hope i can call you richard.:)thanks for all your help.
gators will eventually eat just about anything. go with the feeding stick method until he takes it...don't give in as the fish can go for a loooong time without eating. the fish will eventually come around. you may also want to try something like raw shrimp/smelt/tilapia/silversides on a stick, as i've had gars that initially took those off the stick better than dead rosies or other feeders. keeping goldfish away from your gar is the best move anyway. good luck--
--solomon

minizookeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
simi valley calif.
thanks for info solomon. i want (irwin)to be as healthy as he can be in my care.i hope to soon be able to answer questions about gators too.only time will further my knowledge on this species. kinda hard when i dont have anything else like him to compare to but thats why you guys are here right.i have 30yrs experience with fw monsters(nothing like this thou!!!)got my first big tank when i was 9.i feed all my fish tilapia chuncks or strips among other things(too many too list)they all love it. i can see a day in the near future when ill need to throw whole chicken or duck in a converted swimming pool or huge pond:). i try to not stunt the growth of any of my fish as this summer ill be finished with my indoor pond(10 foot x 5 foot x 30") im collecting materials right now. you guys are a great help and i cant thank you enough.ill post new pics tomorrow.

FisHaRNekEd

Candiru
MFK Member
Glad to hear Irwin is doing well. Thanks in advance for posting the pics. I move too often to have anything that wont fit in a 5gl bucket or 40gl tote to move, so My fantasy of having a gator is purely lived thru Irwin, and the others on this site.
As for the BS, I find It amusing that it gets bad enough to have the SciFi chanel make a movie about it, then people are scared to go anywhere near water. Kinda like Jaws when It first came out.
I agree with killing something for no reason and letting it rot, terrible to waste good meat.
Good luck with your pond, what are you constructing it out of? do you have that project in another thread? If you'r scavenging, have you looked on craigslist or freecycle? I give things and get things for free all the time on there, its great.

and where is this post creator, I wanted to see who have the largest alligator gar here

phantoms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
wisconsin
alligator gar in detroit michigan? 50 inches? little outside their normal range dontcha think

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store