who keeps flathead catfish?

pcpolo111

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Florida
I have one about 2 foot, had it for about a year now. It will eat all the massivore I want to feed it, along with tilapia fillet, smelt, and especially grouper fillet. But I can't have anything else in the tank with it, well nothing I want to keep anyway

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I too think it does not need live, just because it prefers it in the wild. Nice stories though.

Diverse thawed aquatic foods would be the best. If you want stuff them with pellets. No need to buy live feeders at all. In fact, there is only a handful of catfishes that need live / cannot be weaned off live.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
compare to apurensis cf, which is more active?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

... In fact, there is only a handful of catfishes (EDIT: out of ~3000 species) that need live / cannot be weaned off live.
compare to apurensis cf, which is more active?
It can easily be very dependent on the tank set up and 100 other things but in general, I'd say Cephalosilurus are likely more active in adequate housing. Mine 3 were only ~50% hiders in the day time in dim lighting and the moment food is near, they'd be all out, all eyes and ears... even before food hit the water...

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
How big of a tank would this flathead be going in? They grow remarkably slow but they get BIG as you know.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
ive been looking for a smaller one to grow out for years
aquamonsters in Taiwan have them for sale atm and it will cost me around $500 each if I wanna have it here in my area, but since you are in Texas then its a pain to get one.
I noticed that they could hardly work in com tank, so I think I'll pass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store