Why all the hate for Chinese knockoff filters?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Beside the point but a car jack should not lower on it's own and the stands probably aren't any safer.
I'd trust metal on metal teeth of a jack stand over a hydraulic floor jack haha.

Anyways, I think there are plenty of places where cheaper versions of a product are acceptable and plenty of places that need precision built products.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I have a general prejudice against most Chinese products after reading about the crap that was found in baby formula and dog food. I don't buy any food product from China. Whenever I'm shopping online and Alibaba comes up, I go on to the next site. My golf clubs are from China, though. I just had a great thought.....I'll blame my lousy golf game on my golf clubs. There are Chinese products that I wouldn't hesitate to buy. There are other products I'm afraid to buy...such as the Chinese knockoff of Momotaro Bakki House media which is a fraction of the cost of the real thing. If they can put melamine in baby formula, who knows what they put in their "bakki house" media. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/23/fda-nearly-1000-pets-sickened-by-china-made-dog-treats/

When it comes to Chinese products, "caveat emptor" is apropos.

Fifty/sixty years ago, anything with the label "made in Japan" was considered a cheap pile of junk. Not so now. That distinction now belongs to China. With FDA recalls for hazardous contaminated products, they brought it on themselves.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A little hint with regards to AC 110's, I never unplug mine during water changes. With extension tubes attached I can easily get a 70-80% water change performed, with the filters still running during the entire process. I only shut them off during actual filter maintenance, and I don't attempt to restart them unless the water level in the tank is near full. This way they always prime, every time.

It was always loud, eventually some sand got in it and I needed to replace the motor and I just had enough frustration with the thing and I tossed it.
No need to replace the motor, the motor is a sealed unit. You just needed a new impeller shaft. It's a $5.00 part that can often be purchased locally if you ask at your LFS. http://www.petdiscounters.com/Hagen-AquaClear-Impeller-Shaft--110-500-A16551_p_19083.html

As previously stated I have had to change a few impleller shafts over the years due to sand, but even with prefilters these filters aren't designed for large sand spitting fish. My bad, no fault of the filter. I haven't even had to break down and change an 0 ring over the years, not one. But again, a cheap part to replace even if one did this as routine maintenance every 5 years or so. The plastic can't be that flimsy, not if they are lasting myself & others 15-20 years. That plastic is much more durable than it seems on the surface. I just bought another 110 during the Xmas/boxing week sale at Petsmart, even in Canada the total was under $50. Hopefuly I get another 15-20 years out of this one, if/when I need it to replace one of my current AC's.

If companies still made quality products like this domestically, that lasted more than 6-24 months I'd buy them. And I'd pay top dollar for them too.

But there's the problem, everything is now outsourced due to consumer demand. Someone previously mentioned the vaue of work boots, cheapos vs brand name. I guaranasstee you that if you buy a pair of Made in The USA Redwing Boots, and live in those boots during most days, boots that they can be resoled by the manufacturer until the leather is almost rottinging apart, you will never consider the true value of a quality pair of boots, vs cheapos, again.

But for the most part that's not todays consumer mentality, where consumers would rather buy cheap, and replace on a regular basis. Unfortunately you can't always have your cake, and eat it too. This coming from someone who remembers when a regular pair of Levi jeans were still Made in the USA, from Made in the USA fabric, and took a good 2-3 dozen washings before they were even lightly broken in.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I agree, and I also think the disposal of the aquaclear filter was impulsive and emotional. But such is life.

The real problem is that the quality of foreign made goods is increasing. I remember when a made in china sticker was a death warrant for any commodity, today they are starting to close the gap in quality in alot of markets. The stuff is "good enough" and the "good enough" mentality of the consumer keeps them from shopping around. I remember when I was a kid, my dad would go to 3 different hardware stores to find a snow shovel that was US made. These days I don't think people do that. Maybe because there isnt a US made shovel to be had, or the Chinese equivalent is reasonably durable and won't burst into flames the first time you use it. I'm guilty of it too

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

puertoayacucho

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2011
SLC,Utah
Old thread, but wanted to add my grain if sand.. 2 Fluval FX6, Chinese made, been going for 8 years strong, no problem since I understood how they work. DON'T LET SAND GET IN THEM!

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store