Why are motoro stingrays illegal in California? (serious question)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Nabbig2, I know you are venting at California for banning your favorite fish that you cannot have. But the wildlife officials believed that FW rays do pose a threat to public health and California do indeed have springs that will stay warm all year around so there is a concern.

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Nabbig2, I know you are venting at California for banning your favorite fish that you cannot have. But the wildlife officials believed that FW rays do pose a threat to public health and California do indeed have springs that will stay warm all year around so there is a concern.
You haven't responded to a single one of my arguments and haven't read my previous posts. If you're gonna keep doing nothing but regurgitating the same meaningless statements, there is no reason for you to continue posting in this thread.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Nabbig2, you asked a question and I answered your question WHY they are banned in California. They have concerns about FW rays being released in Californias springs and pose a threat to the public health. We don't know if they can survive or not but I do not want to test the hypothesis by introduce them in the waters especially the springs. There is too many what ifs and we can always making speculations about what will happen. I am sorry that you got what you don't want to hear but they are illegal in California for that reason.

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
man someone thickheaded, and i thought Mn rebel was thickheaded, no flames intended, just love

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Nabbig2, you asked a question and I answered your question WHY they are banned in California. They have concerns about FW rays being released in Californias springs and pose a threat to the public health. We don't know if they can survive or not but I do not want to test the hypothesis by introduce them in the waters especially the springs. There is too many what ifs and we can always making speculations about what will happen. I am sorry that you got what you don't want to hear but they are illegal in California for that reason.
You have concerns? You live in Minnesota, not California. I live in California and have zero concerns about seeing motoros pop up in local reservoirs. You know nothing about the climate or ecology of the state. You did not give a valid reason as to why they are banned, you just said because the government says so, which is not a valid reason (freeing blacks from slavery was illegal, was that bad?)

If that is all you have to say, fine. But do not slander and make up lies about potamotrygon species.

There are zero concerns about rays being released in California's springs, and they are not a threat to public health. It's a shame to see a MFK veteran making such ignorant, unbased statements.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Its not just the fact that they may not or may be able to establish, but the fact that people are terrified of them, and if they hear "Oh, yes they can establish and theyr dangerous!" From someone, theyr gonna fear bathing.. Atleast thats what i think.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
You have concerns? You live in Minnesota, not California. I live in California and have zero concerns about seeing motoros pop up in local reservoirs. You know nothing about the climate or ecology of the state. You did not give a valid reason as to why they are banned, you just said because the government says so, which is not a valid reason (freeing blacks from slavery was illegal, was that bad?)

If that is all you have to say, fine. But do not slander and make up lies about potamotrygon species.

There are zero concerns about rays being released in California's springs, and they are not a threat to public health. It's a shame to see a MFK veteran making such ignorant, unbased statements.
I'll pose the same question to you. What evidence do you have that supports your argument? How do you know for sure that FW rays will not survive in the California ecosystem? You keep spouting that no one has any facts, but you are just reiterating your opinion. I'm not sure why you are slinging insults when he is simply posting his thoughts.

Right, wrong or indifferent, I can guarantee that there are studies and supportive information that would show it is possible for rays to not only live, but thrive in California. Bottom line is, we don't really know if they will or they wont without releasing them, so it is just better to not take the chance. Rays are apex predators. They would most certainly cause a drastic shift in the ecosystem if established. Not to mention that many species that were "thought" to be very sensitive, will actually thrive in environments they shouldn't.

On a side note, keep the political comments off of this forum. There's no place for that here.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole

It's sad to see someone is so ignorant so you decided to get personal with me because you just don't agree with what I just said then try to discredit me because I don't live in California? All I just said that there IS a concern about FW rays being released in California waters since they do pose a threat to public health. I do have some evidence that tropical fish species can survive in California springs. Convict cichlids, livebearers, tilapias (not just Nile Tilapia but actually different species of Tilapia) are thriving in California springs and established firmly.

But I'll let you answer to Pharaoh's question first as I am curious to see the evidence you have to prove that FW rays cannot survive in California springs and that they do not pose a threat to public health.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store