Why can't tigers be bred ?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Great posts Koltsix..pretty much covers all the bases regarding the subject.I've said it before but more study on these fish needs to be done in their natural habitat in order to understand them better...We need someone like Zeb Hogan to take an interest in them.
Thanks, unfortunately I'm not sure they're motivated in their homeland to study Dats and their breeding. To my understanding fish are food first, ornamental fish second. So if they can't find a simple way to mass breed them in a farm setting using what they consider easy and cheap techniques I doubt they'll do anything other then keep fishing them till they're gone. They probably already tried throwing them in a farm setting to no avail as well as trying through hormone injections to stimulate them to no avail and pretty much said hell with it.This is going to take a lot of time and money more then they feel they'd profit from it, as breeding them successfully would only lower their value and unfortunately business and humanity as a whole is relatively short sighted.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Makes sense....and if this is the case then the fish is truly doomed.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I decided to do a little more searching around and this is the closest to a official looking report as I've seen regarding Dat breeding is this

Study on natural breeding of siamese tigerfish, Datnioides microlepis Bleeker. [nov-dec1993]

Rithcharung, S.
Mahawong, N.
(Department of Fisheries, Bangkok (Thailand). Inland Fisheries Div. Nakhon Sawan Inland Fisheries Development Center)
Abstract:
Study on natural breeding of Siamese tigerfish, Datnioides microlepis Bleeker were experimented by stocking the broodstocks together in 5 cement pond, 4 square m in area and stocked the broodfishs about 6-11 fishs/pond, sex-ratio of Males:Females is about 2.2:1. The experimental period was 8 months. From this experiment resulted that the broodfishs were spawned on March and the eggs were embouyant egg. The diameter of eggs were 0.8 mm and hatching period within 15-17 hours. Yolksac of the larvae fishs was absorbed within 2-3 days. Nursing frys of the Siamese tigerfish by using hard boiled yolk eggs, Algae-200, Rotifer, Moina sp., small freshwater shrimps and fish's frys consequently. Results were, when the fingerlings were 4 months age, the total survival of the Siamese tigerfish's fingerling was 230 fishes, which had 4.39 c.m. 1.72 grams in average length and weight consequently.

Supposedly made available to and sourced from
Thai National AGRIS Centre
Thai National AGRIS Centre was established in March 13, 1980 by General National FAO Committee, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives cooperated with Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. [...]
COVERAGE: Asia
http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?f=2004/TH/TH04005.xml;TH2001000183

Which right off the bat seems iffy because Microlepis is an Indo not Siam Tiger though I have seen other official Thai documents referring to Microlepis as Siam. Also why would Microlepis who hasn't even been evaluated (IUCN 3.1) receive attention for it's breeding over the Critically Endangered Pulcher? That plus the procedure is made to seem fairly easy and poorly documented. How where they sexed? Like AUL's who are probed? Where hormones needed to induce spawning? Temperature? Turbidity? PH? GH? It just seems to simple to me and vague to be true. I've read official papers on Scherzeri and the papers where overkill thorough and used scientific whoo haa often times almost beyond my comprehension. So I think such a base report has to fraudulent. Though nearly every person online saying Tigers are being bred used this as their reference.

Peter wijono

Feeder Fish
Apr 9, 2023
Hi, I am looking forward to breeding tigerfish (both ST and IT). I would like to get advices from those senior tigerfish keepers/ lovers and breeders. Please advice by email to peterhuangwijono@yahoo.com, whatsapp +62-822-9988-1688. Many thanks, Peter Wijono, Indonesia, June 2023

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
First of all, you won't breed ST, because there aren't any.

If you end up breeding IT, good luck. No one else has ever bred dats to maturity, whatever you may believe.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
If you do want to try, you might want one of these:
1686409933343.png

No, not a boat. You would really need a river like this.

raiffallen5887g

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2023
United States
whatsappinstalling.com
That's a great point! Breeding datnoids artificially may not have been achieved due to their specific and complex breeding conditions or behaviors. Perhaps the cost and difficulty of replicating these conditions outweigh the potential profits. However, advancements in aquaculture techniques could change this in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store