why can't you make a profit selling/breeding fish?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I think plants and shrimp are 2 of the only actually profitable things an average aquarist can get into and make money. Both can be done inexpensively in small tanks and are high in demand. Coincidentally they are also 2 things people kill regularly.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Packer are you wanting to sell pairs of proven breeders? That might spark some intrest for awile as the buyer will not have to grow out juvies.
That is certainly an idea and a good "thinking outside of the box" one.

Apple snails around me fetch a couple bucks and it's easy ish to breed em we don't even know what the OP has as far as tanks setups or ideas

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Your right I gave no specific ideas. That was the point, to get general ideas why it isn't possible to make money. So I can try to get around these problems.

I would say I have many ideas. Breeding marbled crayfish (cloning crayfish) sell the young as feeders. To sell them as a bait (frozen)to fishers. Try and learn how to freeze dry them to be eaten by other fish. Selling them as adults since noone that I can find sells them as adults that can berry up soon.

Stuff like that. This is just ine idea. I guess I'm more looking forward to make some extra money doing something I enjoy. I believe in being self sufficient and making some extra money all by myself without depending on an actual job is great towards getting there. I like to take control of my own life.

I have a 180 and several smaller tanks. Certainly not enough to "start a business", but you have to start somewhere.

I will be be devoting the 180 tank towards producing marbled crayfish.

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
I always wanted to start making "home made" ornaments. Have you ever seen how much they want for those little ship wrecks or plastic divers?

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Marbled crayfish would be nice could make some money, you'd make more money selling to the public rather then fish stores you could go as far as setting up a feeder sales company sell marbled crays, apple snails, convicts breed a lot and would while small be great feeder fish, heck even look into breeding Rosie reds.

Crays would be great for fishermen, puffer owners, or really any predatory fish, apple snails well everyone likes them lol and feeders for every predatory fish owner as well. Where do you live? Maybe that will help us give you ideas

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
I always wanted to start making "home made" ornaments. Have you ever seen how much they want for those little ship wrecks or plastic divers?
Those "big" rather than small shipwrecks can easily fetch $20 or more easily. They are cool, but after the novice stage of fish keeping they just don't seem as cool anymore. A good idea would be actual real world applications in our fish tanks. Pleco hides, cichlid egg laying sites, shrimp or crayfish condos. They might not look as fancy, but with some sand or rocks on them they would be useful. Those can easily be home made and might sell if they are a fair price. Not going to be making millions, but it's a way to make something that is useful and you might enjoy. I believe in enjoying your life. If you want to make home made ornaments no one is stopping you. Maybe not spend your life savings on such an idea, but nothing risk is nothing gained.

Marbled crayfish would be nice could make some money, you'd make more money selling to the public rather then fish stores you could go as far as setting up a feeder sales company sell marbled crays, apple snails, convicts breed a lot and would while small be great feeder fish, heck even look into breeding Rosie reds.

Crays would be great for fishermen, puffer owners, or really any predatory fish, apple snails well everyone likes them lol and feeders for every predatory fish owner as well. Where do you live? Maybe that will help us give you ideas

I live in Ohio.

I had a small insect feeder business going for a short while actually. I made mistakes, but have learned immensely from that experience.

Yes, I agree having multiple ways to sell a marbled crayfish or anything is what I will be doing. I don't have just the die hard crayfish fans, I have the fisherman, the consumer who wants healthy feeders, the consumer that would feed the freeze dried (not sure what it would be called) crayfish to their other fish. This is something I have learned in my past experience with insects. Don't have just one selling point, have a backup and several more backups.

I also learned that you need to relax and let the cards fall where they fall. I started with breeding mealworms and in 6 months I had fruit flies, mantids, pill bugs, superworms, springtails, and wax worms all breeding or in the act of setting up breeding colonies. I easily got way too far ahead of myself. In hindsight I should have kept with the mealworms until I perfected a viable method and made a profit and moved on from there.

A 180 with marbled crayfish is hardly small, but it is 1 single thing to pursue until I make a profit and can invest in more ideas or simply settle for whatever profit I make. Which I won't settle, isn't my style. ;)

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
+1

I'd love to make a mold of something different than what's on the market and sell online only. Something like pop-in tank setups, just add substrate. You insert the plastic type ornament made for that size tank; that dictates the basic style of tank, pop that in the tank, add substrate, water and filter and done. It would just be a big piece of plastic (or whatever material was poured into the mold) and when done it would form the stones, caves, driftwood and all. All it would need is paint/detailing and it's ready.

There's got to be more money in the ornaments and accessories end of it...assuming there's something you can do yourself. Even making your own nets using a different material than anyone else offers or something like that. Either find what's popular and try and copy it without breaking any copyright/patent laws, or do the exact opposite of what's offered for those who prefer another/different option.

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Probably wouldn't be a good idea to use marbled crayfish as feeders to fisherman. If one get lose, it'll mess up that whole ecosystem.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Probably wouldn't be a good idea to use marbled crayfish as feeders to fisherman. If one get lose, it'll mess up that whole ecosystem.

Agreed. They will be frozen so no chance of such a thing happening.

I would say I have many ideas. Breeding marbled crayfish (cloning crayfish) sell the young as feeders. To sell them as a bait (frozen)to fishers. Try and learn how to freeze dry them to be eaten by other fish. Selling them as adults since noone that I can find sells them as adults that can berry up soon.

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Woops. Guess I missed that. Good luck to you. Seems like you have a good idea and plan.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store