Why do people buy fish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
IMO, it's hard to grow attached to one that you can't hold or pet, yet 100% depend on you. Even my friend's son doesn't consider fish as a pet, because he can't hold or pet a fish, not like a turte or a beard dragon... He can tell the difference and he's not even 10 years old yet. Fish keeping is a hobby. Whoever thinks or says he/she will keep a fish for life either doesn't know the meaning of "life" or doesn't have a life.
How does caring for a fish like insight that the owner doesn't have a life? An in the context what is your meaning if "life". I don't understand that part of your statement.
I know a few that have kept fish for 10+ years. I plan on keeping my current stock until they die in my care and I think my life is pretty active.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
How does caring for a fish like insight that the owner doesn't have a life? An in the context what is your meaning if "life". I don't understand that part of your statement.
I know a few that have kept fish for 10+ years. I plan on keeping my current stock until they die in my care and I think my life is pretty active.
I don't sugar coat, so don't take this as a personal attack. You still go to school, have a student loan, with an income of $9k a year. Yet, you're certain that you'll survive with a $40k a year, even you don't plan to have a huge family. Quite naive to me, and an example of one who doesn't know the meaning of "life." You just barely putting your life together. May I ask if your parents pay for your tuition/dorm? I found the common denominator of members who said that they'll keep fish for life are still living with parents, or still have parents paying their bills

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
I am a head of household and currently have multiple fish that are 5+ years old and will continue for another 25. I work full-time, have a son, help out with my parents when they need it, have other pets, enjoy friends both local and online, indulge in my stupid little sports car, and pursue drawing and other arts in addition to fishkeeping as a hobby. What exactly constitutes 'having a life' in your book?

Sent from my SGH-T699 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Haha you're right that I am a student. I pay for my own school though. But you can keep making assumptions about the rest of my life.

Anyways, that doesn't mean that I can't grow attached to any of my fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
What is the purpose of bringing in negativity to any issue within the hobby? Is it for some to feel that they are better or smarter than others? Is it for some to make up for inadequacies in their own lives? Is this what society has degraded down to? What is the damn point to this ridiculous thread? All I've seen so far is people making an ass of themselves in front of a lot of other people who could care less! If you feel you need to cut someone down about what they do in the hobby they love or just want to experience, then you probably don't have a genuine love for the hobby yourself. I really didn't want to voice my opinion but thought I should as no moderator has put a fork in it yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
The one fish I was kind of guilty of this, was an Oscar; who I grew a few inches in a 55 before giving him to someone that could house him properly. I wanted to find out about their personalities etc etc.

Also guilty of returning aggressive cichlids, because I thought I could house them with no problems but had inevitable fighting etc. You live and you learn

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I've done the exact same thing, I thought I could house a red devil/midas cross with an oscar, but surprise surprise the rd nearly killed the oscar in 15 minutes. So I had to house the 1in oscar in a 2ft tank for quite a while until I could rehome it. (I lived a long way from the nearest petshop and was 13 so couldnt drive myself there). But the red devil unfortunately died from a sudden coldsnap when it was 5-6 inches so I put the oscar into the big tank on its own, and then had to rehome it because I moved. Those were my first experiences with cichlids and I've now wisened up quite a bit and go by the saying "get the big tank, THEN get the big fish".

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
^But, once the fish was yours, it was your responsibility. I hate seeing people turn around and try to flip their fish. I've only ever traded/given away a very small amount of livestock. It's something I do not take lightly, at all.

When I broke down my 30g tank to get my blue tongue skink, I had three yoyo loaches, two rafael catfish, and a clown pleco. Loaches aint cheap. But I gave them all away for free here on MFK, why? Because I dont feel comfortable turning my animals into business and I just wanted them to go to a good home with a good fishkeeper. Even though they werent mine anymore, I still felt that I was responsible for making sure they ended up in good hands.

When you're an animal keeper, you have a very serious responsibility to your animals, like it or not. I suggest taking it very seriously.
yes yes yes and yes

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
I am a head of household and currently have multiple fish that are 5+ years old and will continue for another 25. I work full-time, have a son, help out with my parents when they need it, have other pets, enjoy friends both local and online, indulge in my stupid little sports car, and pursue drawing and other arts in addition to fishkeeping as a hobby. What exactly constitutes 'having a life' in your book?
You sure have a life, but we'll revisit this issue in let say 25 years?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
On second thought, nevermind! You're not going to keep a fish for life...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...enegal-Bichir-Johanna-Pike-Cichild-PU-ATLANTA

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Enough………this thread has outlived its usefulness. We tried cleaning it up and leaving it open but that obviously, didn’t work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store