Why doesn't my protein skimmer produce micro bubbles?

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
Here is a pic of a venturi, airline tubing is attached to a port

Many power heads have the port built in, but you need to attach a hose (airline tube) in order to produce bubbles for fractionation.

Do you know a brand name pump that is made specifically for skimmers?

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
You can get a maxijet 900 and attach an airline to it. Easy peasy and cheap. You'll likely find out however that these seaclones are NOT great skimmers, and you'll get a ton more skimmate with a different model.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You must use a pump that has enough pressure to produce venturi action, at the amount of head pressure it has to overcome (the height of the mixing chamber.
There are many, I have found that for my skimmers a 950gph pump is about minimal. Mag drives, Laguna have worked for me, but I also build DIY skimmers as opposed to using commercial ones.
There are pumps that have a special apparatus that chops large bubbles into small ones, in order to produce a more effective foam.

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
Take your skimmer and pump down to Randy's Fish Palace and he will explain how it works. Its hard to explain to you if you dont understand what were talking about..
Well, nevermind its fine. I just ordered a new coralife super skimmer with pump. so everything should be ready to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store