why dont people use siphons?

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
redtailshark1;4051514; said:
Sorry i wish not to agree, overflow boxes do not use siphon, they use the gravitational water level corrections and the gravitational weight of the water pulling it down the tube
LOL that is a siphon.......... :ROFL:

it's basicaly a restartable siphon

i have built a DIY overflow works just as good as commercialy bought ones only flood ive ever had was a result of me not cleaning the mesh prefilter (which is my fault not the overflow's) ive shut the system down plenty of times and it ALWAYS restarts

Whether you like it or not despite what overflow box companies have told you so that they can steer you away from DIYing (so they can get more money in their pocket) both DIY and thier overflows use a siphon, that when it stops the water equalizes on both sides of the box so that no air gets into the part that goes over the edge of the aquarium. gravity keeps the water in the bottom loops(where above it is a partial vacuum) so as soon as water rushes in it want's to fill in the negative space and this restarts the siphon.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
TheCanuck;4051215; said:
I'll give you 1,000,000$ if you make a syphon that can perfectly match a return pump and have it work correctly for more than 2 hours.

It just doesn't work, if you own an overflow or sump you would understand.

Do you have a milllion to give? If so I will build a sealed sump and take the money.:D Actually this is how most canister filters work, the reason you have to prime them to get the siphon started in order for them to work.

JAFRIAS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
sac.,CA.
Bderick67;4051651; said:
Do you have a milllion to give? If so I will build a sealed sump and take the money.:D Actually this is how most canister filters work, the reason you have to prime them to get the siphon started in order for them to work.
yes a siphon will work with a pressurized canister filter i did the same with a pump after the filter , i used a ball valve to maintain the siphon while servicing

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
ive tried and its alot more work than an easy overflow

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Bderick67;4051651; said:
Hey no cheating now! lol.

Sumps only!

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
TheCanuck;4051215; said:
I'll give you 1,000,000$ if you make a syphon that can perfectly match a return pump and have it work correctly for more than 2 hours.

It just doesn't work, if you own an overflow or sump you would understand.
I agree! And I'll double this bet :D

Edit: I actually don't have the money. But if I did........ LOL

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
I guess that the reason mine works, is that it does not go above the water level. After thinking more about it, the reason it restarts, is because the water rises above the plumbing.

If you had to go over the tank edge, it would be very hard.

A note though, flow was mentioned. I have my flow matched perfect to my sump. All return water is free flowing into the sump. I control the return with gate valves. Tokk maybe 30 minutes to get it dialed in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store