Why is my white gourami keep being at the top of the tank?

Lee Levinnesh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2020
Why is my white baby gourami keep staying at the top of the tank? Its been 2 days its beeing like that and she doesn't even wants to eat? pls help me

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Gourami are labyrinth fish. Their natural habitat can become low in oxygen due to seasonal low flow or evaporation, so evolution has given them a special organ called a 'labyrinth'. They can take oxygen from the surface and get it into their bodies via this special organ. Both my kissing gourami and my giant gourami regularly 'slurp' oxygen from the surface even though their respective tanks are both very rich in oxygen, I guess it's just an evolutionary habit.

However, they certainly aren't at the surface all the time and they aren't off their food either. I think you need to rule out the basics first, and that is to post your parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH would be a great start, along with other details which tlindsey tlindsey and Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 have mentioned.

Lee Levinnesh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2020
Gourami are labyrinth fish. Their natural habitat can become low in oxygen due to seasonal low flow or evaporation, so evolution has given them a special organ called a 'labyrinth'. They can take oxygen from the surface and get it into their bodies via this special organ. Both my kissing gourami and my giant gourami regularly 'slurp' oxygen from the surface even though their respective tanks are both very rich in oxygen, I guess it's just an evolutionary habit.

However, they certainly aren't at the surface all the time and they aren't off their food either. I think you need to rule out the basics first, and that is to post your parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH would be a great start, along with other details which tlindsey tlindsey and Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 have mentioned.
I bought her from the shop on 25th and she was fine in the tank swimming here and there. Then after 5 days she started to stick at the top of the tank and she doesn't even wants to eat. She's a white gourami and her body colour is changing to light brownish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store