Why lip hold?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if done properly its the safest way to hold a fish, esp if planing to catch and release.

Reactions: skjl47 and Cu455

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Bass are typically held by the lower lip since they don't have long, sharp teeth and its the safest spot to hold them by. Holding a fish by the body can harm them by removing their slime coat and risk a good chance of dropping them should they wriggle. Putting pressure on their soft underbelly could harm internal organs. Holding a fish under the gill plate of course could damage their gills.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; In addition to the already mentioned answers, another is that for fish with a large enough mouth (like bass) this allows for the removal of a hook.
For fish like brim I hold them by the body. I have heard that wetting your hands help protect the slime coat.
Pike, like walleye, have teeth so I use the gill cover.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Catfish depending on size I I'll put my hand in there. Sometimes I'll bleed but it's fishing I been doing the mouth method for a long time

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Another added bonus with lip holding bass is that it puts them into a kind of sedative state so its not likely to thrash. This is beneficial for the fishermen in that you don't get impaled by the hook(s) and greatly decrease the chance of the fish being dropped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store