Why polys??

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Im pretty sure that alot of people asked us why we pick a polypterus to have as a fish instead other beautiful fish out there.

I pick polys cause i like carnivore fish,
I like fish that grows big and they have this long body like a lizard and big face like a dragon or crocodile,
I like how they glide in the water and when their fins are up like a dragons spike on their back.

They just have this mean look to their face that now alot of fish have.

Lets hear yours why you have a poly.

KabobSoldier

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Dallas,TX
When I first got into the fish game I was keeping goldfish and koi in a pond. While doing research I had learned about Polypterus and fell in love instantly. They look like alligator/snake/dragons. They are very chill and relaxed but feed aggressively. I always like to keep fish that are unique or most people don't keep and polys fall into that category. Not to mention they are tanks... until they jump out ;).

Reactions: Polyaddict86

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I personally like the prehistoric look and variety between species, I also like that though they are predatory, they don't pose threats aggression wise to other fish, and most other fish leave them alone, for example my curupira will eat and attack anything but a poly, when he was 8" he was with my sen who was a thin 4" and that's the only 4" fish he didn't snack on, he even tried fish much larger than the sen, length and overall mass, I have SD he can't swallow whole, so he bit them in half sadly... He can eat a number of my bichirs now if he'd like but he doesn't. They aren't my favorite fishes, but I'd say as a group top 3, by species top 10 maybe 5. And they're very hardy and laid back.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Kind of look like snakes but they aren't. Especially laps and that got me hooked. Had to get more to see them interact with each other. See them pile up. They seem to be equivalent to crack. So addictive.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I've always been drawn to large fish, prehistoric fish, and oddballs. Polys hit all three. I also love their little quirks - the finlets, breathing atmospheric air, the deathroll, and of course the elongated body shape. But my favorite part about them is that they can be traced back to the mesozoic era, but probably go back even further. That means they survived what dinosaurs could not - BAD ASS!!

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Who says polys arent beautiful.....i think the markings on ornates and endlis are awesome
Most people that are not on this hobby dont see polys beautiful, they always think of it as a reptile and not fish, they always compare it to a colorfull gold fish or koi, they dont understand the beauty that we see in them:)

Reactions: SandNukka15

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
I was a large reptile keeper for a long time and I've always had an appreciation for the primal and prehistoric. The first time I saw a Senegal bichir in a petsmart it peeked my interest and I started to research, which led me to MFK.

Guess that little part of me that's still a 5 year old Aspiring paleontologist still lives on :)

Reactions: Polyaddict86

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I was a large reptile keeper for a long time and I've always had an appreciation for the primal and prehistoric. The first time I saw a Senegal bichir in a petsmart it peeked my interest and I started to research, which led me to MFK.

Guess that little part of me that's still a 5 year old Aspiring paleontologist still lives on :)
I love the prehistoric looo as well.....even with catfish like irwini and oxydoras niger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store