Why should I buy africans at petsmart? Here's why!

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Buying Africans from PetSmart is my favorite way to grow my collection. I love to support my LFS, but when you want a tank with 14 fish, it becomes quite expensive. That is the benefit of PetSmart. The prices are much lower, but so is the quality. My favorite tank there is the Mixed African tank. You never know what you will find, and I have found a lot of times you will find expensive haps and even riverine Africans there. And these fish will all be sold at 10 dollars to you, making them quite the bargain.

Examples that I have come across:

Katale island mbuna. At PetSmart: 10 bucks. At imperial tropicals: 30 bucks;

Zebra obliquedens: At PetSmart: 10 bucks. At live aquariua: 30 bucks.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I agree, coming from someone who doesn’t have a nearby LFS, and frequents petsmart/petco (especially pre COVID), the big box pet stores are often pretty good. Most of my fish are from petsmart/petco, and all are doing great. I’ve found a couple of rare Africans as well, and even the common fish wind up looking very nice.
They used to have even more rare fish at petsmart, but about 5 years ago, a lot of the cool stuff stopped showing up.
Also, everything is underpriced. I can’t stand the prices for some things at the lfs.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Might only work if you never want to breed them and you don't care to buy a pig in a poke.

Luckily in Europe you can buy high quality f1 Mbuna for 9-12€ at some commercial breeders or importers that also breed or buy fry from hobbyist fish keepers.
Non Mbunas like peacocks are more expensive but the quality makes up for it.

Or you directly buy from other hobbyists.

The more low quality fish you buy the more it gets offered.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Agree with milingu., especially the part about not distributing fry or letting the adults out of your home. The problem comes when fishkeepers decide they are a certain species and start calling them by that name. Like Katale island mbuna and Zebra obliquedens.

If you just call them "peacock" or "hap" or "mbuna" without a genus or species or collection point name, that could work.

I would MUCH rather buy excellent quality mbuna for $6 online (none of the vendors mentioned). Especially when my alternative is buying unknown fish from PetSmart for $10.

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
My concern is that almost all of the African cichlids they have in stock are juiced, and will lose the vibrant coloring a week after you bring it home.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve found the peacocks are hit or miss, but all of the petsmart mbunas I’ve gotten have been beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store