Wild Nerites!

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
Hi guys, I wanna know what nerites these are because they have all sorts of patterns tho I found them mostly in one spot on a river. Habitat is on rocks, large river leading to a strait so probably brackish. It was lowtide while I was passing by and all covered with nerites, also found a few other species of snails. I collected atleast a hundred. Acclimated and quarantined them, they have like a 60% chance survivability when dumped into freshwater, I also got some before and those that survive are doing well. Also they're the only snail my Assassin snails dont eat.

IMG_20240302_103620.jpg

IMG_20240302_103611.jpg

IMG_20240302_103608.jpg

IMG_20240302_103557.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys, I wanna know what nerites these are because they have all sorts of patterns tho I found them mostly in one spot on a river. Habitat is on rocks, large river leading to a strait so probably brackish. It was lowtide while I was passing by and all covered with nerites, also found a few other species of snails. I collected atleast a hundred. Acclimated and quarantined them, they have like a 60% chance survivability when dumped into freshwater, I also got some before and those that survive are doing well. Also they're the only snail my Assassin snails dont eat.

View attachment 1536829

View attachment 1536830

View attachment 1536831

View attachment 1536832
I'm a newbie to the Nerite snail. Purchased one from the lfs and the snail is doing amazing job with biofilm and algae.
It moves extremely fast for a snail also seen it above the water line.
Those live nerites resemble the one that I have. The lfs employee called it a racer. It's definitely fast 😆

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
I too am fiarly new to snails, I have a few of the standard striped and a couple "tiger" i think they called them with spots in rows like the stripes, but these are gorgeous. I'm jealous you can collect locally, all I can find locally is pond snails...snooze

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
I'm a newbie to the Nerite snail. Purchased one from the lfs and the snail is doing amazing job with biofilm and algae.
It moves extremely fast for a snail also seen it above the water line.
Those live nerites resemble the one that I have. The lfs employee called it a racer. It's definitely fast 😆
They were literally escaping before I can put them in the tank.
Racer nerites seems more vibrant than these. I went to my lfs and their tank was covered in nerite eggs, I guess thats the only downside to nerites.

Reactions: tlindsey

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
In my records I have a nerite that lived 15 years. It lived in my fry tank eating biofilm off the glass and could be heard scraping the glass with its radula. I've only kept a handful of these in total. One thing I advise is that you should be careful changing salinity. I placed this snail in my Bumblebee Goby aquarium to clean the glass but it didn't like the low salinity and didn't look happy so I moved it back. My snail was sold as a Tiger Nerite. It left little eggs everywhere. When I removed the dead snail I can honestly say wear a peg on your nose as it was one of the most nauseating smells I have ever experienced and as a biologist I have come across plenty.
Nerite Aquarium Hex Steve Joul 08.10.06 024.jpg
Obtained 09.03.02​
Died 01.08.1715 years

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
In my records I have a nerite that lived 15 years. It lived in my fry tank eating biofilm off the glass and could be heard scraping the glass with its radula. I've only kept a handful of these in total. One thing I advise is that you should be careful changing salinity. I placed this snail in my Bumblebee Goby aquarium to clean the glass but it didn't like the low salinity and didn't look happy so I moved it back. My snail was sold as a Tiger Nerite. It left little eggs everywhere. When I removed the dead snail I can honestly say wear a peg on your nose as it was one of the most nauseating smells I have ever experienced and as a biologist I have come across plenty.
View attachment 1536873
Obtained 09.03.02​
Died 01.08.1715 years
Wow!! That snail must have been massive, and old! Aint no way a snail could've been as old as me.
Never heard of nerites like making noise, thats cool! I did notice that some will die when I transfer them from one aquarium to the other eventhough its the same setup, water and everything. Also, was it hard to remove their eggs, or do they naturally breakdown?

Reactions: tlindsey

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I am not sure of species, but those shells are really beautiful !

I hate nerites though. The little eggs they leave are difficult to remove and they cover stuff fast with them. They were a problem in my saltwater and freshwater tanks. No more nerites for me!

Reactions: FrancisFloe

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
I am not sure of species, but those shells are really beautiful !

I hate nerites though. The little eggs they leave are difficult to remove and they cover stuff fast with them. They were a problem in my saltwater and freshwater tanks. No more nerites for me!
I haven't seen a single egg yet and it's been a month since adding some, but if they start laying eggs then Imma put them in my sump, hopefully they wont.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store