Will a larger Gulper catfish eat a Smaller one?

Will a 6" Gulper eat a 3" Gulper introduced to his tank?

• Yes, he will eat him.

• No, he should be ok.

Results are only viewable after voting.

PrehistoricMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Portrush, Northern Ireland
I had two gulper catfish, approx 6". Unfortunately I recently lost one during a heater malfunction. I'd like to get another but the only one I can source is only around 3".

Can gulper of different sizes be kept together or is the big guy going to swallow the smaller one like he would any other fish?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yes absolutly he will eat him
How do you know?

I've seen large size differences kept together, can't attest to any longevity though. Doesn't seem anyone keeps gulpers very long in general

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
People don't keep gulpers that long because they wonder if it's going to eat the other similar sized fish in the tank and then it does and then they hate the gulper and get rid of it..

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Last edited:
Reactions: moe214

PrehistoricMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Portrush, Northern Ireland
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/multiple-gulpers-in-same-tank.696096/#post-7845906

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/gulper-community-tank.598747/#post-7054331

Anything of course is possible when you get down to an individual fish. Predators might swallow a fish accidentally, or mouth a fish and then pull off. Starvation can certainly change the predatory habits of a wide variety of animals.

But from many threads I've read, it would be unusual.
I certainly wouldn't keep them with any other species of fish but was unsure if they would eat one of their own species. Any videos etc. I have seen of them however always has fish of equal size. I'll have a read of the threads you have linked, thanks.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
People don't keep gulpers that long because they wonder if it's going to eat the other similar sized fish in the tank and then it does and then they hate the gulper and get rid of it..
Actually from what I've seen they seem to pass. Can't say I've ever read a thread of someone saying the hate the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store