Will an Oscar get more aggressive as it ages?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
when I read this I pictured a dovi with a monocle and a top hat. haha. but yea thanks for the replies folks. fingers crossed he/she will stay chill. I got it at about 3" and its been in a tank on its own at my place for about a month, so this is his first test run with buddies. there's been more aggression from the uaru towards him than him to anyone else, except a lone diamond tetra that was left in that tank who is lucky that he is nimble
Thats funny I imagined the same thing like Mr.Peanut lol

Reactions: jamntoast

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
fingers crossed he/she will stay chill. I got it at about 3" and its been in a tank on its own at my place for about a month, so this is his first test run with buddies. there's been more aggression from the uaru towards him than him to anyone else, except a lone diamond tetra that was left in that tank who is lucky that he is nimble
As it gets bigger, the WC oscar that you have will start to get more aggressive to that Uaru who is picking on him.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I've got a wc Oscar who is ~4.5" maybe more and I just moved it in with a group of geo tapajos and uaru amph Who are all pretty much maxed out for size so I'm not too concerned at the moment but can I expect that as he gets older and larger it will become more aggressive? I've never kept astronotus before but you always hear about each fish having its own temperament, and it's pretty chill for now, kinda hoping he stays that way.
True about fish having their own temperament, I have found that oscars often are undeservedly labeled as aggressive, in a few instances I have seen them become unhinged when approaching the 12" mark, so keep an eye and hope for the best, be prepared to split & rehome if it becomes necessary.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Oscars will get into juvenile stage, around 7 months, this when they start tearing up plants, attacking rocks, and just plain trying to own the place, if other fish in the tank, they will try to own them to, but Oscars are like a bully in the play ground, once owned by a fish, they owned for life in the tank.

Reactions: convict360

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Oscars will get into juvenile stage, around 7 months, this when they start tearing up plants, attacking rocks, and just plain trying to own the place, if other fish in the tank, they will try to own them to, but Oscars are like a bully in the play ground, once owned by a fish, they owned for life in the tank.
so are you saying that it would be a good thing if they try to be tough with the uaru or whoever early on and get tuned up?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am saying as big as Oscars get per say. they are easily owned by other fish.
After that you have a timid stressed oscar.

Reactions: jamntoast

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have never founds oscars to be particularly an aggressive species, especially when compared to many Central American's.
Sure they will gladly slurp down anything that fits in the mouth, but to me that's not aggression.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I have never founds oscars to be particularly an aggressive species, especially when compared to many Central American's.
Sure they will gladly slurp down anything that fits in the mouth, but to me that's not aggression.
yea I've noticed this already when it tried to eat the diamond tetra which looked to me that it was too big for the Oscars mouth. totally shows the evolutionary relationship between these two species. immediately went after it. cool stuff. but yea so far no aggression, and it wasn't pouting or anything after being moved into the new tank, so I don't think its nervous or anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store