Will Angelfish it Neocardinia shrimps

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
Hey y'all, I have four angels and I want to transfer them to a 60 gal with a bunch of neocardinia shrimps, the shrimps are there just to clean but I fell in love with them so I dont want them to get eaten😫 Some site says the angels will eat the shrimps and some dont, whats your opinion about it?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Would blue rams or apistogramma eat shrimps too?
No, most likely not to the above question.

I have a quick story to answer your original question: When I first started my tank, I did some stupid things. One of them was putting angelfish with small shrimp. I had about 8 shrimp (they were each around $12 a piece), and they were all eaten at some point (a few of which I watched get eaten). The Ghost shrimp had the most luck and lasted far longer than the colorful jewel-like shrimp, but it, too, was eaten. So, to answer your question, no. A fat goose egg. No small shrimp can be kept with Angelfish.

If you really wanted to try shrimp with angelfish, you could go for the much larger ones, such as Vampire shrimp and Bamboo shrimp; they would be the least likely to be eaten, but it is still a big risk. I'm currently trying to keep a BIG Vampire shrimp with medium-sized Discus. While admittedly, it is risky, I have a backup tank just in case things go sour. I'm only doing this because the shrimp is the size of a juvenile blue crayfish; it is massive (it's definitely vampire shrimp; it doesn't have pinchers); therefore, it shouldn't get picked on by the discus, especially since my tank has plenty of hiding spots. But as I said above, if things go sour, I have a backup tank for the shrimp.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: FrancisFloe

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
No, most likely not to the above question.

I have a quick story to answer your original question: When I first started my tank, I did some stupid things. One of them was putting angelfish with small shrimp. I had about 8 shrimp (they were each around $12 a piece), and they were all eaten at some point (a few of which I watched get eaten). The Ghost shrimp had the most luck and lasted far longer than the colorful jewel-like shrimp, but it, too, was eaten. So, to answer your question, no. A fat goose egg. No small shrimp can be kept with Angelfish.

If you really wanted to try shrimp with angelfish, you could go for the much larger ones, such as Vampire shrimp and Bamboo shrimp; they would be the least likely to be eaten, but it is still a big risk. I'm currently trying to keep a BIG Vampire shrimp with medium-sized Discus. While admittedly, it is risky, I have a backup tank just in case things go sour. I'm only doing this because the shrimp is the size of a juvenile blue crayfish; it is massive (it's definitely vampire shrimp; it doesn't have pinchers); therefore, it shouldn't get picked on by the discus, especially since my tank has plenty of hiding spots. But as I said above, if things go sour, I have a backup tank for the shrimp.

I hope this helps!
Bro I also have 8 shrimps but I got em all for $6 dollars cuz they're not the prettiest, I specifically chose clear or wild type looking shrimp. I got them as a cleaning crew but planning to breed them, if I do get larger shrimps the size of a crayfish it would destroy my planted tank so thats why I opted for smaller shrimps. I guess I'll scrap out the idea of cichlids with shrimps.
Got any suggestions for a south american fish that will coexist with shrimps and plants?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Bro I also have 8 shrimps but I got em all for $6 dollars cuz they're not the prettiest, I specifically chose clear or wild type looking shrimp. I got them as a cleaning crew but planning to breed them, if I do get larger shrimps the size of a crayfish it would destroy my planted tank so thats why I opted for smaller shrimps. I guess I'll scrap out the idea of cichlids with shrimps.
Got any suggestions for a south american fish that will coexist with shrimps and plants?
You could do most tetra species, guppies, pygmy cory catfish, oto catfish, and Endler's livebearers

Reactions: FrancisFloe
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store