Will Anubias cut on stem regrow leaves?

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
I tried to leave a small bottom portion of the leaf that rotted away and the leaf did not regrow, the stem just rotted away as well. Should I cut in the middle of the stem next time?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Are you trying to propagate it? That's what it sounds like. If so, you need to cut a piece of the rhizome (the bottom bit that the leaves and roots grow off) off with leaves and roots.

Use a sharp, CLEAN blade to cut it and you should be right.

When I cut mine I try to cut 2cm or more of the rhizome off, and make sure the piece I'm cutting off has at least 3-4 healthy leaves (more is better) and a healthy chunk of roots on it and I've always had success getting it to grow.

Hope this helps. Good luck :)

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Interesting thanks for the info...I am assuming since you did not address it, that they won't grow on a leafless stem?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Interesting thanks for the info...I am assuming since you did not address it, that they won't grow on a leafless stem?
Honestly, I don't know. Maybe if there was some rhizome attached to the stem? I have no idea, if a leaf breaks off I pull it out and cut the stem it broke off of as close to the rhizome as possible. I've never tried just cutting a leaf or stem off and growing it lol

Reactions: BichirMohawk

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Yeahs they would need some type of root structure to take in nutrients in order to grow, think of it like cut flowers you get from a florist they'll never grow roots, end up just dying. So the breakage will not grow into another Anubias

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store