Will my monstera grow ok like this? Is the stem too deep?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Using a grow light from Amazon and hoping not too close to the leaf.

If so what can I add to the back of the tank to help support all of these plants including the pothos? I want everything to go upright versus along the top of the tank which will be annoying when I have to remove the lids and everything falls in.

1000029925.jpg

1000029924.jpg

1000029912.jpg

1000029923.jpg

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Yeah it should do !
They don’t require huge amounts of light and certainly not direct sunlight.
Here in the uk I can get hold of plastic mesh (comes on a roll about 2ft tall and has 2”squares) that is used as trellising or fencing supports. That could be mounted to the back of the tank for the plants to grow up, taking them off the lid. Might look a little unsightly till they start covering it but if you do it right more can be added as the plants grow too. Because it’s plastic it doesn’t rust, and can easily be cut to shapes and sizes. Can even be used in the tanks if you really found a use.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Yeah it should do !
They don’t require huge amounts of light and certainly not direct sunlight.
Here in the uk I can get hold of plastic mesh (comes on a roll about 2ft tall and has 2”squares) that is used as trellising or fencing supports. That could be mounted to the back of the tank for the plants to grow up, taking them off the lid. Might look a little unsightly till they start covering it but if you do it right more can be added as the plants grow too. Because it’s plastic it doesn’t rust, and can easily be cut to shapes and sizes. Can even be used in the tanks if you really found a use.
I'll look into this but how do you mount it to the tank?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If you cannot see the back of the tank I would mount two pieces of 2x1 vertical up the back of the glass tank screwed to the back of the wood cupboard frame up the back at 1/3 from each end (painted the same colour as the cupboard). A bit like the headboard on a divan bed has. Note that it doesn’t have to be as high as the tank top , so you won’t see it at all.
Then mount the plastic mesh to that.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
If you cannot see the back of the tank I would mount two pieces of 2x1 vertical up the back of the glass tank screwed to the back of the wood cupboard frame up the back at 1/3 from each end (painted the same colour as the cupboard). A bit like the headboard on a divan bed has. Note that it doesn’t have to be as high as the tank top , so you won’t see it at all.
Then mount the plastic mesh to that.
Sweet thanks I have plenty of extra lumber around

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store